What part of thai culture can't you tolerate?

Guest lazyphil

<<I think in the end it all boils down to education and worldliness, something that most thais don't exactly have in abundance>>

That said some points WYD refered too were about people who surely are more worldly/educated and should know better??

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would add a certain type of farangs/expats who may not be part of the culture, but definitely part of Thailand. Those who seem to have gone dried and bitter with the years, who never listen to "you", have all the answers, except to the questions you ask (I am delighted I came up with this one ;)), and whom are so numerous or ubiquitous, you'd think it's the country who creates them in some kind of symbiosis.

Your point are well made, and somehow tons of little miracles happen against all these odds. In Thailand, every truth has its contraries, if you go the extra-mile (literally and figuratively), and look behind the smile (fake or true) or the pain. It takes one fact, one person to make you (almost ;)) forget you had just said something to the contrary of what just happened to you. Warts and all, this is a blessed country, can't define it really, maybe the essence of it all :dunno:....

Disclaimer: The following is the view of someone who has (many many many times) visited LOS but never lived in it.

1.) I do not believe, it is up to us to "tolerate" a culture, in which we are guests (long-term or short-term)!

2.) There are certainly millions of points, which go on our wesern nerves, a lot of them are listed above!

3.) BUT, if you can not accept that, get the hell out of there! My sister lives in London for about 7 years now. A lot of the points listed above (false friendlyness, extreme poor craftsmanship, overpriocing foreigners etc) fits there too! But each time she starts moaning about it, I tell her to shut up or move home!

3.) AND I bet this goes for a lot of French in Germany or Swiss in Poland or.....

4.) The fact that so many expats have turned bitter over the years, because their (last??) hopes and dreams did not come through, give them NO right whatsoever to bitch and moan. Love it or leave it (if you are still financialy or socialy still capable to).

5.) back to Disclaimer on top.

last note: My favorite poster of all times (good ole SMEG) used to close posts like this with the sentence:

Now go ahead and flame me :cussing:

MaW

Unfortunately , Been to a few more funerals than one. There is something about the beleive of reincarnation and personal etique that caused people to do some very questional things at the funerals I attended. All were not bad, some were, I think it would be inappropriate to go into details here, but glad to hear there were no incendenses in your brother in laws'. But them again back in the motherland I used to have to do some morque work in the hospital. People really do some strange things, even experienced medical staff when they are faced with death. for ex a respiritory tech telling the guy to hold his breath, many people talking to the corpes telling the body what they are going to be doing in the examination. etc.

-----------------

Yes I think I may have become more narrow minded. It is a result of me having to conform to thai values in order to be successful in business and life here. Like I said before which I thought was abnormal 5 years ago is normal and what was normal is now abnormal. But life goes on.

Hi naive

I cant come to terms with fact that so many young girls turn to ""working"" in the sex industry.

Education ?

The Thais need to work at making education and job oportunities.

For the population so no need or easy way out for these girls to turn to the sex trade...IMHO

Many have great personalities and are intelligent...just need some work oportunities. :banghead:

.) I do not believe, it is up to us to "tolerate" a culture, in which we are guests (long-term or short-term)!

By that same definition only indiginous Germans in Germany would have any rights or indiginous English people have full rights in England. That is patently not the case in both Germany and England.

In western Europe etc new cultures are assimilated as best they can and afforded a plethora of assistance in terms of health, education. They are made fully aware of the legal tools at their disposal and encouraged to avail themselves of their rights whenever there is a perceived breach.

Of course Thailand isnt as rich as UK or Germany but to say just because you are not Thai you have to put up or shut up is unfair and contrary to the UN Human rights charter.

STH

Archived