What part of thai culture can't you tolerate?

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

.) I do not believe, it is up to us to "tolerate" a culture, in which we are guests (long-term or short-term)!

By that same definition only indiginous Germans in Germany would have any rights or indiginous English people have full rights in England. That is patently not the case in both Germany and England.

In western Europe etc new cultures are assimilated as best they can and afforded a plethora of assistance in terms of health, education. They are made fully aware of the legal tools at their disposal and encouraged to avail themselves of their rights whenever there is a perceived breach.

Of course Thailand isnt as rich as UK or Germany but to say just because you are not Thai you have to put up or shut up is unfair and contrary to the UN Human rights charter.

STH

Point given!

But there is - to my mind anyway - one big diffrence:

England and Germany are countries who allow Immigration . Even if we Krauts do not admit it - we NEED Immigration to keep our system working. So we have to integrate those folks - and with 80% it works.

The fact that we Krauts are so weak to throw the FEW misbehavers out is another story and has nothing to do with this thread.

But still - if someone would bitch and moan about the German way (as I often do!) I would give him the same answer as I gave to my sister in London.

I do not think, that LOS sees itself as an Imigration-Nation, maybe I am wrong.

One more point: I also see a diffrence between integration of foreigners and giving up the way one country operates/lives/works/understands itself. Another point we Krauts do not understand.

Last not least: I did by no means wanted to say, that we were not allowed to point out the not so bright side of a country. But the phrase "not tolerate" seemed arrogant to me.

Have a great day

MaW

P.S. : I guess this thread will go over 100 replies without ending in a flame-war. Any bets?

MaW

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest :

asking a thai person a fairly important question, and instead of them saying they dont know, they give you some incorrect info.

from what I have seen and heard, some of the thais working at the U.S. embassy are known for this.

Guest lazyphil

Thankfully I have only been to one funeral in LOS and of course I cant use this one experience as a yard stick to how it is generally.

<<But life goes on>>

It does and we can only do whats best for ourselves, friends and familys and not carry the burdens of the world.

I think people put threads here for the sake of discussion and talking about Thailand. Sure we can put up and shut up, but not as much fun as exchangingh facts and opinions. Actually, my feeling is that if thais were bitching a bit more, oh not too much, maybe a few inequities would change over there....

[color:"red"] >>>Face over honesty and ingretrity<<<

I am most certainly with WHD on this one ..... [/color]

I was brought up that integrity and honesty should be excercised at all times. However, I am quite sensitive when it comes to saving someone else's face if possible.

Actually my brother just told me that his new boss told him that he was too honest and would not get promoted. Well! :banghead:

People interprets "face" in different way and some of them is way off that I cannot understand and also, many Thais will use "face" concept as an excuse.

Jasmine

Archived