What part of thai culture can't you tolerate?

1. Blatant racism (and I dont mean double pricing)

2. Inability to que (actualy Im begining to think ALL Nations except Britain dont know how to que)

3. Their non confrontational attitude when serious issues need to be addressed.

4. A mai pen rai attitude when infact the should be complaining.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] 1. Blatant racism (and I dont mean double pricing)

[/color]

Would you mind giving a couple examples, please?

[color:"red"] 2. Inability to que (actualy Im begining to think ALL Nations except Britain dont know how to que)

[/color]

I hate it too :banghead:

[color:"red"] 3. Their non confrontational attitude when serious issues need to be addressed [/color] This would depend on situations I guess. Many of them is actually "face" issue. I have a bit of problems with my sister-in-law on this issue.

[color:"red"] 4. A mai pen rai attitude when infact the should be complaining.

[/color]

This bothers me too.

Jasmine

. Blatant racism

-------------------

same as jasmine. And if you answer, remember you used blatant, not just racism. This can only mean to me that you are not speaking of institutional racism (Issan people not same as central) or dinner table racism (americans racist, they killed indians, and blacks racially profiled, or in LOS maybe: lao people very poor, very lazy, etc....), but something that is a national and active trait.

Says pattaya127:

. Blatant racism

-------------------

same as jasmine. And if you answer, remember you used blatant, not just racism. This can only mean to me that you are not speaking of institutional racism (Issan people not same as central) or dinner table racism (americans racist, they killed indians, and blacks racially profiled, or in LOS maybe: lao people very poor, very lazy, etc....), but something that is a national and active trait.

I would put forth the treatment of hilltribe people in the north. (I just erased everything I wrote about it as it became political very fast!) Basically, even tho they have lived in Thailand for generations, some are denied rights to travel and citizenship.

My GF was sure whe was denied visas to US because the Thias in the consulate knew she was hilltribe by her name. They even refused her an interview. SO we went Bangkok and no problem. Now that may have only been her perception, and it is certainly not blatent, nor officially condoned as far as I know.

you must admit this has to do more with officialdom than daily, visible, ie. blatant racism. How mant thais do you meet spouting off about the hilltribes?

I dunno, one can hear things maybe, , but I still see Thailand as pretty much a "live and let live" place. Not ignoring there can be racism but hardly something to be found untolerating or enervating. IMO

[color:"blue"]you must admit this has to do more with officialdom than daily, visible, ie. blatant racism. How mant thais do you meet spouting off about the hilltribes?

[/color]

Bullfeathers sir. Hill tribe people are treated worse than Farangs IMO, Overpricing, gouging, scams, explotation, denied education, medical..and on and on. and ONLY because they are not Thai, even after being here for generations. Don't go there if you haven't lived there. Sir.

Now that's my 'part of Thai culture I can't tolerate'. :cussing:

Yes I agree. The thais are not rasist towards them just are sitting on the fence. I do see the thai goverment point of view. Many of these 750000 people have only been in thailand as a group since early 1900 and were not invited to thailand but took squatters rights in the area.

The hill tribes are not thai by ancentry. Even today they do not recognize the king of thailand, they do not recogonize the thai flag and goverment. They have been blamed for raping the land with their agriculture practices and flooding the thai market with drugs. The late kings mother did a lot of work trying to educate them and help them.

One thing that does bother me is that the goverment keeps on missing the deadline ( aug 2003 -last one) for deciding what to do with these people. They are a stateless people who are not thai and dont share thai values. Should the goverment be responsible for accepting, educating and providing hospitals for these people??? I will let the ethic boys and lawyers figure that out since it is a very difficult question. But I dont see the thais as rasist because some backpackers high on golden triangle drugs have been raising issues about this since the early 1980s.

(Note... some facts maybe wrong. I am not an expert on this )

[color:"blue"](Note... some facts maybe wrong. I am not an expert on this ) [/color]

on this I will agree with you. :grinyes:

[color:"blue"] The thais are not rasist towards them just are sitting on the fence [/color]

again Bullfeathers. this is not a point of the Thai Gov't policy. which I will leave to others more qualified. This is about individual Thais singling out hilltribe people simply because of their ethnic origins.

To qualify my personal experience here WYD, I had a Lisu GF for almost 5 years and we spend countless weeks in her village, with her family and with her friends. And I have been good friends with the head of the largest NGO working in that area for over 10 years.

[color:"blue"] The hill tribes are not thai by ancentry [/color]

who is? These mountain people have traditionally claimed these lands for many 100s of years, long before Thailand was any kind of 'country'.But those with armies and power and bureaucracy push semi-nomadic people from their homelands everywhere, throughout history. This is just another example.

[color:"blue"]Even today they do not recognize the king of thailand, they do not recogonize the thai flag and goverment. [/color]

The feathers get deeper. In the villages I stayed in the people were as devoted and loyal to the Royal family as any Thai I have know. The National anthem was broadcast twice a day, the flag flown and deep respect was alway shown. A major reason was the interest a support that they have rec'd from HRH. A market garden and fresh water project have been there for His resouces for many years, supplanting the traditional opium crops. Yes there are even basic schools and health care. SO why can't they get ID cards, even though they and their parents were born in Thailand. That's the question to ask. And as far as personal bigotry show to these people by many Thai people....well the stories could go on for ever. :banghead:

[color:"blue"]But I dont see the thais as rasist because some backpackers high on golden triangle drugs have been raising issues about this since the early 1980s.

[/color]

Sir, I, and many others far more deeply involved in these efforts, are neither a backpackers, nor a drug users, although we confess to spending a lot of time in the Golden Triangle. I find such slurs coming from an educated man such as yourself, more than a little disappointing and definatively untrue.

Don't go there if you haven't lived there. Sir.

----------------------------------

with all due respect, I merely responded to the tenure of his post, which referred only to officialdom practices, and in the US embassy on top of it. In that case, it was hardly thai culture that was talked about. You drove your point much better than him. Though (i would not be P127 if there was not a "though..." ;))......

Now that's my 'part of Thai culture I can't tolerate'

-----------------------------------

........they will do scams on cambodians, burmese, and straight off the farm Issanites and unwary thais as well too. it's the unfortunate helplessness and cluelessness of these people that have them being ripped of. who was it who told the tale of his hilltribe GF who held her own against being bribed by the police, successfully.

It is well known that pimps and middle-men go not only to hilltribes to find new blood for brothels, but also near Hualumpong where they prey on poor Issan people, literally trying to buy off their kids. All I mean is that it's a terrible place to be poor and clueless, Thailand, and the "right" color or race will not prevent one to be scammed!

I do accept you call that racism, but why say irately " Don't go there if you haven't lived there. Sir." . Most thais from the central "rice bowl" to the south, and Issan have no real, blatant opinion about hilltribes, so it's merely from the part of some thai people or from thai officialdom more than thai culture, that you find it hard to tolerate. IMO

WYD,

I?m surprised and disturbed by your last post. Usually I do not comment on questionable remarks but this time I decided to not ignore them.

You?re propagating an extreme view over here by describing the hill tribe people of Northern Thailand as disloyal to the king, the flag and the country. Can you substantiate your claim? As LHL wrote they were there long before the Thais claimed this land and they?ve as far as I know always been accepted in this country. How do you prove that they are raping the land and flooding Thailand with drugs? Why do you generalize and condemn minorities?

These remarks and your hate of girls in the 4p4 business say a lot about your way of thinking. Coming from a country where only some 60 years ago people that did not fit into the belief of the rulers were executed in the millions I can only despise your way of thinking. What surprises me even more is, that you are Canadian, coming from a nation I adore very much for the liberal way of thinking of her citizens. Don?t you think that your approach to see things does belong to the past? Just my 2 satangs.

Archived