Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

Some very good advice re returning mid 40's or 50's. Probably unemployable at good rates at that time with sketchy background working in a relatively unknown country business wise.

Also, someone staying in LOS in their mid working life would need some serious income to save and invest to provide an income in retirement.

However, some do it, but more than likely have business interests either inside or outside LOS which can carry either be sold or carry on after they finish work.

One further scenario is to get a property in the west, even on a mortgage and rent it out. If the rent covers the mortgage and bills then you are still in the property game, with an appreciating asset, which could provide an income in retirement.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] At such a young age? Great!

[/color]

Well, Hubby is not keen on his retirement yet, so I will learn to be a "kept" woman. :neener:

However, Hubby said that at my age and my work history, it will be hard for me to learn to be a "kept" woman, I just be the same old Jasmine then. :devil:

Cheers! ::

You must be living right then or your experiences were 10 years ago. I just looked at our last bill (for August) and it was B8750. This is with five people in the house, same electrical stuff that you mentioned. Wife does not question the accuracy and she is naturally suspicious of any bill :onfire: LOL!

Cheers,

SD

Suadum

Many of these people have to budget everything they do to the cheapest level, which is really not bad as we should all be

conservationist. Many foreigners there are a slave to having to decide most of what they do and how, by their income the same as any other place in the world. Many think how much money they have before they think of what they can do. You would be amazed at the effort some have to put in just to go out for a few good meals a month. It is called the compromise of living in the tropics on low income.

They travel on a few hundred baht a day and then talk about how they save a couple baht on meals and water then how they see these other foreign loser setting around in these far off regions getting wasted on booze and enjoying themselfs.

In fact these guys in the far off regions are many times enjoying themselfs with what they enjoy doing while also living life on a budget. They also look at these people coming out of the big cities with the stress and all the budget limitations and think the same thing, what losers these guys are, all the stress just making ends meet when they could live out in the sticks on 50% less and have no stress and do what they want and when they want and be held as living in high standards to boot. So who shall cast the first stone.

What drives all of them to be like they are, did they fail in the real world or did they find some of the esteem of being considered well to do or needed by others and held in high standards by others, who knows. Trying to compare what , whats needs and what one pays for things in Thailand has to be done on very general assumptions.

From what I have seen 50% of the people who stay long term are on a strict budget and paying 8,000 baht a month on electric would mean they would have to go 3 weeks without a night on the town. They are a slave to what many of us would consider basic living standards. The only thing they have is someone depends on them and thinks they are something in life!!! The need to be wanted by someone. Is this success, I guess it could be or at least they try to make others think so. It must be fun because they do it for years.

Read the news you will see a few who jump from tall buildings each year. Now that many more countries are getting on to these insurenace and workmans comp scams I think we will see more of it.

The answer to the cost is from 200 baht a month for a fan or

maybe 10,000 baht for air con comforts. It is all possible.

I know living in europe where I did not have control of the heat a few times I had to wear ski clothing for 6 months a year but the cost was low and I would use more anti freeze (booze). Life can be fun anywhere at any price just depends on what eachs level of what fun is.

Maybe a book on from refugee to a king move to Thailand in one easy step would cover it.

Hi SD,

You must be living right then or your experiences were 10 years ago. I just looked at our last bill (for August) and it was B8750. This is with five people in the house, same electrical stuff that you mentioned. Wife does not question the accuracy and she is naturally suspicious of any bill LOL!

Not 10 years ago, maybe a couple of years since we stayed in the townhouse. I think our difference might be that you have 5 people in the house, for me it's just 2. Besides we are mostly out during the daytime on weekdays. But then again my experience with broadband cost is about twice the monthly amout you mentioned earlier. (what kind of broadband package do you subscribe to? Does it work well?)

Best regards,

Danish30

Strange electricity bills some of you guys get....2 to 3.5 times the real kilowat consumption to the owner of the place? That's called a scam in my dictionary.

My september electricity bill: 241kw turns out to 627 baht + 7% VAT is 671 baht. I budget 1k baht, highest consumption was 310kw, I have 1 airco running from 8pm to 5 am, computer running 5 hours a day, music, fan....

Hi Danish,

Could be the extra people. Six if you count the maid. This month's bill just came and it is B5555, but it was cooler last month too. And we were in Sillypore for a few days.

My web package is from a company called M-Web. They resell KSC at a discount. Seem OK, not lightning fast but far better than dialup and OK price for Thailand (B1900/mo).

Cheers,

SD

No arguement with anything you said there.

I was just passing along an assortment of real world numbers to the guy so he can intelligently make a budget. Since he has never been here before, he needs to be realistic in his assumptions. Reading about all the backpackers living off B20 a day is *certainly* not the same as actually doing it. And liking it. And doing it for six months or more.

My experience (not just me but observing others too) tells me that one's "requirements" for comfort increase exponentially with age. He is not 18, but early 30s.

I am a realist too.

Cheers,

SD

[color:"red"] My experience (not just me but observing others too) tells me that one's "requirements" for comfort increase exponentially with age. He is not 18, but early 30s.

[/color]

Absolutley spot on! my days of 'roughing it' are long gone, and thankfully, so is the need to. :beer:

Archived