Doctor's orders - move out of Bangkok !!!

New Petchburi Pete

I have an underlying heart condition that I thought was causing symtoms (shortness of breath). I've had extensive testing in Boston. The doctor's (actually two docs) conclusion

is that he is 'ordering' me to move out of Bangkok! :eek:

It seems that the pollution affects my breathing. Of course, the fact that I am out of condition and about ten pounds overweight does not help. :banghead:

Yes, I am one of those people who tend to gain weight in LOS ... too much sticky rice, which I love! ... and, definitely,

I must lower my alcohol intake, which is a good thing to do anyway. Although, he told me that a pint of a 'darker' colored beer (anti-oxidants & bioflavinoids) each day would benefit me. :up:

I'll be back soon ... but, my lease doesn't expire until Dec. 25; and, I don't want to move on Christmas again.

:onfire:

To be honest about this, we have been contemplating such a move anyway. In New England, at this time of year, the air is antiseptically clean compared to BKK ... I 'm really enjoying the deep blue skies. Also, the shortness of breath is diminishing, the longer I've been here since Oct. 3.

I remember studies which demonstrate the risk of heart attack from inhaling particles of a certain size, which are 'suspended' in heavily polluted air.

Additionally, I'm tiring of looking at the pollution ... perhaps better phrased as, not being able to see through the haze.

So, when I return, we will be concentrating on finding a suitable area to live in ... I haven't seen too much pollution on Walking Street. :grinyes:

Actually, we have been looking into East Pattaya, way East of Sukhumvit, away from the sleeze. The medical care is good there; and, there are international schools as well as two of the bilingual schools, which we want our son to attend (whichever one we will be able to afford).

There is a good base of expats there. I also believe the cost of living would be less, which would make more funds available for educational purposes.

Any recommendations as to alternate, suitable locales would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says New Petchburi Pete:

...Although, he told me that a pint of a 'darker' colored beer (anti-oxidants & bioflavinoids) each day would benefit me.
:up:

That's interesting. :) I've been waking up recently with blinding headaches, dry mouth, feelings of disorientation and nausea, paranoia, sweating profusely, hands trembling, foul-smelling breath, no friends and an empty wallet. :( I went to my doctor this morning. He gave me the full examination, blood tests and the lot. After a couple of hours, he said. "Well, hard as I try, Jack, I'm buggered if I can find anything wrong with you. I'm sorry. It must be the booze, mate."

I said, "That's alright, Doc. I'll come back tomorrow when you've sobered up." :o:up::drunk:

jack :beer:

I grew up in an industrial area which caused chronic bronchitis. Today I have no visible symptoms, but I need to avoid an environment which is too polluted. In BKK I started to cough again after 4-5 days and I know it would be impossible for me to live in BKK in areas with high traffic like Sukhumvit (I don't have plans to do it anyway). Similar happened to me after three days when I started jogging in Tokyo :cussing:.

Anyway, to leave BKK will not only be good for you, but for your wife and especially for your kids too, because your kids react most sensible to air pollution.

Says jp1:

Similar happened to me after three days when I started jogging in Tokyo .
:cussing:

You mean Tokyo is polluted?
:dunno:
Not that I missed the pollution but I never felt it.
:)

No of course not! Only 30 million people living in Tokyo area and most car crazy, plus scy scapers which block freshes breazes from the sea, plus many waste incinerators outside the town (Chiba/Saitama). Where should in this town pollution come from? :grinyes:

Says kamui:

Says jp1:

Similar happened to me after three days when I started jogging in Tokyo .
:cussing:

You mean Tokyo is polluted?
:dunno:
Not that I missed the pollution but I never felt it.
:)

No of course not! Only 30 million people living in Tokyo area and most car crazy, plus scy scapers which block freshes breazes from the sea, plus many waste incinerators outside the town (Chiba/Saitama). Where should in this town pollution come from?
:grinyes:

Kamui,

I still don't agree with you. About 40% of all vehicles in TYO are taxis and they run on propane gas, more or less pollution free. Most trucks are new and modern and have to follow strict emission laws. Incineration plants are considered to be the best in the world with Japanese technology leading in this field. I lived in many big cities around Asia, America and Europe but the standard of Tokyo, or for that matter of any Japanese town in controlling pollution is world class. :applause::up:

NPP - Machbrapan resevior is the up andcoming part of Pattaya that your refering to. The resevoir serves Pattaya and no indistrial development is permitted there - many foreigners and professional expat families as well as wealthy Thais live there. Also its 30mins nearer to bangkok that the city centre of Pattaya.

I have not seen anywhere else that comes close in terms of facilities, ease of lifestyle for foreigners at such a low cost.

Cheers

Archived