Doctor's orders - move out of Bangkok !!!

New Petchburi Pete

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been in the States (Melrose - just North of Boston, but I've also been up to the White Mountains in NH - Moultonboro & also spent a few days on Cape Cod) since Oct. 3; and, I can say my breathing has already improved significantly.

I'll be returning in about a week ... back into the soupy, grey haze ... however, the skies seem somewhat bluer (? is that a word, or is it 'more blue' ? :dunno: My memory fails me at times!) between mid-November & late January. Also, as I'm sure many have noticed, the air seems cleaner after a good downpour ... until the traffic quicky spoils the atmosphere again! :banghead:

Here is a choice for your consideration: Nong Khai. A couple of years ago or so, a travel magazine listed the results of a survey concerning THE top places in the whole world for retired American expats, and Nong Khai made their Top 10. (I can only remember one other city on the list, and that was Belize City). I don't remember all of the factors involved in the ratings; I know for Nong Khai, quick access to health care, in the form of quick flights to Bangkok, were one. (Remember that we're talking retirees here.) Cost of living and pleasantness of environment were certainly others. I have to say that it IS a pleasant view of the Mekong River from the banks of that town. Perhaps someone else here can remember the magazine in question, so you can look at the report yourself.

New Petchburi Pete:

This may very well be due to the fact that, in general, there is much less stress in a Buddhist nation, at least in my huble opinion.

Less stress in BKK ? ... I suppose so, if you ignore the traffic & pollution!
:censored:

Yes you are very right - much less stress in LOS especial if we live in the country side; brings my very high blood pressure down.

We have only one life, so what i have to do soon? ;):)

I walked from the Fenway Park area all the way to North Station yesterday without any shortness of breath!

... since I had an hour or so, I hit "The Harp" across from the Fleet Center on Canal Street ... delicious, draught Bass Ale & Guinness! :beer: ... just like the doctor ordered !

... Someone offerd me a free ticket for the Bruins tilt against the Hurricanes (decent seats too) ... but, I had another engagement. :banghead:

I don't remember all of the factors involved in the ratings

I remember the article (believe it was in the AARP rag about 15 years ago and only the opinion of the author - probably for considerations given by property developers). Got a good laugh out of it as know Nong Khai and can just see some 'never been away from home' Americans arriving to live there on the advise of that magazine.

Nong Khai made their Top 10

Of all places in Thailand, that is truly amazing!

quick access to health care, in the form of quick flights to Bangkok, were one

That's strange for two reasons. First, the nearest airport is nearly an hour away (Udon Thani). Second, if I were sick, the last thing I would want to do is have to get on a plane to get care, then another to get back.

Cost of living and pleasantness of environment were certainly others

I don't know how Nong Kai would be cheaper than anywhere else in the region. The envirornment to me is that of a shanty border town. I've been through Nong Khai numerous times, and the only redeeming quality I can see is it is close to Laos which would make visa runs a cinch.

I have to say that it IS a pleasant view of the Mekong River from the banks of that town.

The downside is the mekong is muddy and big waterways can make for lots of noisy boats. From a distance, could be decent. I'm still floored that of all places in Thailand, Nong Khai was named.

Archived