New alternative to UBC

whosyourdaddy

hi Johnny,

Definately sports for me as well, followed by BBC world and History Channel. Watch occasional movies as well and the wife watches the Thai soaps.

So I guess I get good value out of it, although it is expensive at almost 1600B a month.

I still don't understand why commercials aren't allowed in Thailand. Does UBC intermezzo's (forced upon them) can get on my nerves sometimes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand it when UBC came into the game part of their gimic was no advertisements and this was a contractual agreement.....

But, I could be way off base here!

SB.

I was over at a friends house who has it. Thai channels are crisp and clear as with the others. It is what I consider real cable with no decorder box and all channels coming through the line and the tv tunes to the channel. I hate UBC set up with a extra remote to change channels and the tv remote to turn on/off and vol. control.

WOW that is good.. Do you have a number and price on that set?

BBC, ABC asia(american) , NOW (English I beleive- many computer shows) , Z (action) Animal planet plus a sports and of course titties on fashion channels. (great for apec times)

I would be very interested in this if you have the phone and price

Hi,

Price is the same as the one you mentioned 360 Baht/month, 1,000/3 months, 2,000/6 months, 4,000/1 year

Number on the flyer is: 02-615-4681-3 (09:00-20:00)

BTW, the BBC is from Australia it says. For Now is says something like programs for tourists and farang shows.

Sanuk!

Hi,

Just called Gold TV and it turns out that they do not yet offer the service in my street (wonder why they bothered distributing flyers then). I must say that I was less than impressed by their service, here's how the conversation went:

GTV: Hello

Me: Is this Gold TV?

GTV: What do you want?

Me: I would like to subscribe.

GTV: Where are you?

Me:

GTV: What soi?

Me:

GTV: We don't service that area yet.

Me: Okay, any idea when you will be ready?

GTV: Don't know. Goodbye.

Novel approach to getting customers :rolleyes:

Sanuk!

Well at least they answered the phone. Better than UBC somedays.

I had UBC in my last apt and asked them to come pick it up. They said they could only weekdays working hours. So I took some time off work and went home to meet them at 10:00. Here it is noon and they have not arrived. Called them they said they were going to be late.. Maybe 1 or maybe 3. Since all they were doing was to come pick up their decorder box. I simple told them that I had an appointment at 10 and they are 2 hours late already. If they were not there in 30 mins that they could find the thing in the garbage outside my apt if they looked hard enough. They showed up in 30 mins.

I hadn't realized how good Sophon Cable in Pattaya was until I read about the other cable systems described here. It has about a dozen movie channels, 3-5 sports channels, about 6 English-language news channels, a few documentary channels, all the Thai channels, Indian, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Korean, French, Russian, Japanese, Indian, German, etc. as well and Star World and Australian Asia-Pacific channel.

But I also have UBC and do complain often about the price, but the picture quality is excellent. I like the monthly UBC magazine-schedule, the current schedule, program info and schedule reminder available on the TV screen using the remote control; and the dual-language capability on many channels. I wish they were allowed to show advertising because I think it limits some of the foreign services available to them as well and keeps the cost of the UBC service higher than it could be.

Archived