New alternative to UBC

whosyourdaddy

Without informing me, GF had Happy Home Cable installed today. :o (oh well, she's in charge of all financial matters after all).

36 channels. Good picture quality, and I mean good as in crisp! Replaces your tv-antenna. If pre-paid for six months, you get one month free and installations costs waived (normally around 500 baht). Total bill: 2028 baht.

I'm not much of a TV-watcher so perhaps my opinion should not count; in any case I'm not that impressed. There's CNNfn and ABC Asia Pacific of course -- but I would take BBC any day over these...*clears throat*...excuse me...propaganda tools (though I always liked ABC America pre-Iraq). The rest of the channels is a bunch of movie stuff, lots of chinese, one channel from Bahrein (!) and Fashion TV.

I doubt I will watch more TV now...

EDIT: aha, I see now that ABC Asia Pacific is indeed Australian Broadcasting Corporation. See web site.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CNN aired in Thailand should really be named "BBC-2" because it is filmed in london with british anchors, much british news/weather (yeah, that's really useful), and uses many british correspondants. Its persona and programming seem second stringers to the real BBC which is pretty good.

I think the main feed is broadcast out of Atlanta. Here in Asia, though, much is broadcast from Hong Kong.

Yes, there are British anchors, but other nationalities as well. My favorite is the hot Monita Rajpal. Yum.

I have met many of the regional correspondents and Tom Mintier, based here in Bangkok again, is a great guy. :)

I enjoy watching BBC too for a different approach to the news than CNN.

I don't think there is a station on UBC with more commercial time vs. programming than CNBC.

<<Hmm.... I find it hard to believe that Sophon Cable TV is paying the proper licence/royalty fees for all the channels and movies they are running on their system. >>

Actually the Thai Cable Assoc is going ligit - they pay royalties to the companies whose content they use. They are now combined, having more subscribers than UBC, and offer to Aussies a almost better service having Aussie TV as part of the bundle.

The SAMAART deal you talk of is not real - they don'

t pay for the content - and you'll discover to your dismay that soon you will get 20 000 channels - of crappy indian chinese ect content, nothing you would want!

The system these guys use is analogue cable, no Condidtional Access - (ie if you know what your doing - you can hackinto the cable for free)

The Multipoint system someone mentioned is the MMDS system. UBC retain their license (Aand yes - not allowed by law to advertise thought they lobby hard to change this - not likely though to happen - and their subs are dropping regardless what you read in the papers) of their OWN MMDS frequencies, the old Sky TV frequencies were split into 2 - most went bak to MCOT, 4 frequencies remained with That TV, who have been trying to launch a service - so far all they do is broadcast Nation TV which was kicked of UBC. Still popular, and a very political situation.

Again, this is analouge, interesting - no one is allowed "Digital" TV in Thailand by gov ruling last year - a month before soccer world cup.

However the Satelite system used by UBC is digital. Gov repleid to that by saying, "We mean FTA (Free To Air) TV not Sat.

However Thai TV is considering going digital, using the same technology as DTV in Aust/USA Etc, expect to see a bun fight there.

The Cable offering at 360 baht is very good value, and is available virtually all over Thailand, EXCEPT bangkok, where it used to not go into as it would start a war with UBC. Nowe they are legit, look for them soon in your street.

Muang Tong Thani has them, as do other parts.

Remember - content is expensive and NOTHING is free if it is any good.

Any other Sat or Pay TV questions gladly answered.

JB

Jimmy,

As I am preparing to move to Pattaya next Summer or so, and TV is quite a substancial Part of my daily routines, may I ask you to give me some leads into that topic. I am from German spaeaking Part of Europe, guess I will not have a huge choice of German TVs, but what about others?

I think a Satellite will give me more Choice than any Cable? What do I have to consider in case I want my own Satellite receiver? Balcony facing South, or North? How many differnet TV Satellites are within reach? I would not mind a higher investment for a System that receives more than one Satellite, in case that broadens my Possibilities. And how about Digital Subscriber Boxes? Are there some standards, where I can just swap the cards? I have to say that at home I have no Satellite, just Cable, so I have almost Zero Knowledge on the Technology, at least of Today's Digital Sat.

Any help would be greeatly appreciated!

Sunny

13 Days to go!

Archived