New alternative to UBC

whosyourdaddy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure if we will get it or not. We just got a new house and will be moving in shortly. I watch about 5 hours of tv a week at the most. mainly BBC or history channel. So I will not be fussed if I dont have UBC for awhile.

Be interested to hear what the service charges and installation fees are . 14000B for UBC is really dear.

But will have to contact the boss as she watches much more UBC that I do. Will probably stick her with the bill if she wants it.

<< Some stuff just don't translate well. >>

You should have been here in the '80s, when Thai TV carried the Benny Hill Show ... translated into Thai. :doah:

That was before cable. If you wanted the original sound track to English and American programmes, you had to turn off the sound on the TV and turn on the FM radio. And of course each of the TV stations used a different FM frequency! (Console TVs used to come with the FM receiver built in.)

Hi,

"I watch about 5 hours of tv a week at the most. mainly BBC or history channel. So I will not be fussed if I dont have UBC for awhile."

Same here. For me it was pretty much only CSI once a week and perhaps 1 or 2 movies. My wife and her niece watch soaps everyday though (which are SOOOO boring), but we do not need UBC for that.

Problem is that our current reception of Thai channels is so crap that I am considering getting this cable service just to improve those channels. The others would be a bonus.

Sanuk!

Would assume, as they didn't say, that it is the old single or multi point UHF system that Thai SKY and IBC used before UTV arrived with real cable and became UBC. There has been a free service operating that Nation Channel went to a few months ago so perhaps they have added channels and marketing it as a pay service now.

Problem for many is that they do not have a good/direct line of sight to transmitter so it can be a problem getting a good picture. And keeping it good is another chapter. Look forward to hearing of peoples experience but I am not about to ditch UBC yet. Although rather expensive it is in another league.

Last Sunday morning had a converter act up. Called UBC at 1000 - unable to fix after several tries on phone and advised tech would arrive between 13-1400 and his code number would be xxxx and be sure to have him id himself with it. Tech called at 1200 to advise would arrive at 1300. Arrived on time (how many times has that happened?). Unit decides to work but he replaces with a new one. Finished in 5 minutes.

Hi,

From what I understood, this used to be a 'company' selling dodgy service (i.e. illegal), but due to the fact that they got a rather large customer base they decided to go legit.

The flyer I have says Gold TV, btw. Phone # is also different.

List of channels:

- Thai channels

- Disney

- Fashion TV

- Animal Planet

- Dubai sports

- Super sport

- TTV

- MTV

- Z

- Channel V

- TV 5

- ETV

- DLTV

- CCTV-4

- Phoenix Chinese

- CTV

- Sahara

- Kluang Dong

- NHK

- Now

- BBC

- ABC Asia Pacific

- a couple of channels called Movie

Must admit that most of these are totally unknown to me.

Anybody know them?

Sanuk!

i remember the days when thai TV had every saturday night a farang movie where the english soundtrack came over the radio. the annoying part was that the radio still kept their own advertisement times. ::

To be fair to UBC they are not allowed to advertise and therefore their only source of revenue is from subscriptions. I use it primarily for sport where it is unsurpassed by anything cable has to offer.

Archived