Checking NP at work

whosyourdaddy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says whosyourdaddy:

Does anyone know if the techie can trace where people have been on the net through my work's network.

If you are working in a SMB, most probably they don't care or they don't have the infrastructure. In a bigger company, almost definitely yes. IMO, best is to ask for permission anyway.

You could have a look at

The Cloak

Anonymizer

Both of which may have problems with cookies and aren't all tht usefull unless you use the encryption option

This one requires setting up a proxy server on your computer. May seem a bit complex at first, the free trial version can be a bit slow. Its fee based but seems reasonable. The problem is if your employer doesn't want you to use a proxy they may block the IP or host. So as Peter says it best to get a feel for whats acceptable at work, after all your probably on surfing on thier dime.

primedius

Great!!!!!! Will just use the cloak in downtimes. The problem is I have made "no friends" with the inept computer tech at work and have given him a good blasting from using all the bandwidth by downloading music offof kazaa onto the computers at work and using all the limited bandwidth. Plus the other day he tried to change my settings to get me onto the new server and locked up windows so bad that even a recovery disk could not restart it. So I had to format and reinstall everything. Then yesterday got him to retry to set up the network printer and he could not. When I checked my computer there was a program he downloaded hiding in the background and was scanning my files. I tried to uninstall it and it was password protected. (it is my laptop not works) and I finally lost it and told him how I really feel! Idiot!!

So I am expecting some Thai revenge.

There is a huge difference between monitoring a network and installing monitoring software on an employees personal computer. He should be fired.

If the software is still on your computer you should probably show it to a manager and ask if its company practice to run such software or is the MIS attempting to defraud other employees.

Archived