The ultimate insult to a Thai woman?

JJsushi

hmm... what if it was the other way around? You meeting an old girl friend, not introducing your new girl friend (as a new girl friend), talking a while and then receiving the old girl friend's phone number...

I don't know, maybe it's just me but trying to explain and "turn the table" with some people doesn't work. It seems like it all fine for them to do things, but if one wants to do the same... ::

Fredro

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Then how do you explain the extreamely rude old bitties on many/all U.S. carriers?

Well, if you are talking older ladies, they are most likelly coming from the pool of women who re-entered the workforce after raising their kids. I doubt many of them had been flight attendants since their early 20s.

General English skills that need no nurturing or studying overseas, a shitty job, 20K per year (if that) lousy pay, menopause, travelling public that goes for 25US$ return LAX-Las Vegas..and you get the combination that may activate rudeness in anyone.

At least, they are competent and not there to look good and useless as flowers in a vase.

Sickbuffalo,

Curious on how you reached your decision that LOS is less class-based than the West. Maybe you could share some examples or experiences?

My experiences and observations have been the opposite. It seems like there is a glass ceiling for the middle-class and below and a glass floor for the upper-middle class and above.

In my own little interactions with thais, I have not found one doctor who comes from a poor family or background. Every doctor (I have taught many doctors here) seem to have almost the identical template in terms of family background and status. Not true in the States in citing my own family and dealing with and knowing the backgrounds of hundreds of physicians back home (part of my previous career). This is just one example that I have had some exposure to in Thailand, but I could think of many others I have observed or heard about.

What equallly important or more so is the opposite, poor people making their way through the conventional ranks (tennis players don't count!)........

Cardinalblue

[color:"red"]In my own little interactions with thais, I have not found one doctor who comes from a poor family or background. Every doctor (I have taught many doctors here) seem to have almost the identical template in terms of family background and status. Not true in the States in citing my own family and dealing with and knowing the backgrounds of hundreds of physicians back home (part of my previous career). This is just one example that I have had some exposure to in Thailand, but I could think of many others I have observed or heard about.

[/color]

I have observed the same thing. IMO, it is because of the foundation education they receive during time prior to colleges, some poorer Thais never have a chance for higher education or if some do, the schools they go are not good enough for them to compete.

However, I went to school with a few Chinese-Thais who had to help their parents selling coffee and worked in restuarant who are doctors and engineers now. I still cannot quite put my fingers on what motivates them so well with these people. One of my girl friends who is a doctor now had to make all food in her father's shop. Once I visited her, caught her stirring the food in one hand and studied by holding a book in another hand!!! :D I was so fascinated that I never felt bad about her beating me in grades on some subjects again!

Jasmine ::

By the way, may Thai females seem to drop the class and education requirements for the Western men though. ::

Jasmine

I agree with you 100%. I know a girl ( post graduate) who works in one of our officies in Bkk, an executive and her bf from US is a trucker. I told her what his job is but I could not drive sense into her.

cheers

vinod

Jasmine,

Are you saying, that if you were not married, you could put aside social rules, and marry lets just say :dunno: a fat bald obnoxious aircraft mechanic with no money and a drinking problem? assuming he was really a nice guy I mean...? Hypothetically speaking of course... :)

Normally, I would have let the topic drop but having been with a few Thai chicks through the years I realized I had to make this a dramatic, emotionally expressive event filled with accusations even though logically there was no need to.

I agree with your decision and twisted logic tho the chances of coming out on top were slim

Jasmine,

A couple of profound statements you have made and I agree with both of them.

How I read your comments about thai kids making it into medical school and beyond, you seem to pinpointing that certain ethnic groups have greater aspirations, motivations and drive than others? Most notetably thai-chinese in LOS. Would you say it is almost all family and cultural driven? I see the same thing in the US with the Jewish and Vietnamese off-springs (as only two exaqmples). They seem to distinguish and separate themselves from other ethnic/racial groups.

How are the thai-chinese merchants/trading families viewed as both in status and economic class? well-respected/solid and middle to upper-middle obtainment?

Regarding your statements about dropping a class when interacting falangs/foreigners, is this at all compensated in the image of that country? When a Thai tells another Thai they have met someone from australia or america, that alone raises the perception/image of that person. It is not due to what he does more than that he comes from a desired western country. There is probably a lot of stereotyping going on here, but in all fairness, certain professions (even blue collar) are not equal when comparing across countries.

I would say the trade professions in america are at a high level economically (thanks labor unions!). While they might not have a college degree or be well-rounded (speaking and writing) as univeristy graduates, they do obtain educational/training competence in their specific vocation (electrician, carpenter, plumber, stationary engineer, etc). Some of those professions make a lot of money and far surpass many white collar, university educated people/jobs.

Cardinalblue

Archived