How do metered Taxis make a living

OCgringo

It does not matter whether the driver uses the meter or not... The meter means nothing to the company and is not tracked in any way as to how much the driver makes... He still has to pay the "Daily Charge" even if he just sits at home... The meter is for the passengers sake in knowing that he is paying a fair amount based upon time and distant...

The drivers love to get "All Day" fairs, if they can collect 1200 to 1500 baht for their 12hrs... Remember, they only have to pay 1/2 of the total "Daily Charge"...

Pianoman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My experience is also to first establish if the driver knows where you want to go and than establish if he puts on the meter.

Never had really any problems with cabs in BKK after I sorted that out.

It's a different story in Samui. There's been a strike for 2 fdays by Song Theaw drivers since somebody's trying to bring in 100 metered taxis into Samui.

That'ld be a total overkill and uncalled for, especially since these guys never use their meters.

Hi,

A taxi driver I spoke to recently mentioned that soon there will only be 3 'color schemes' allowed for taxis, yellow-green, blue-red and white-red. The fully green taxis supposedly will run from the new airport once it finishes.

He also mentioned that Taksin wants to put another 100,000 taxis on the streets, and he was none too happy about that proposal (which, if true, would be total overkill I would say, it would more than double the taxis in the capital).

Sanuk!

>>My experience is also to first establish if the driver knows where you want to go and than establish if he puts on the meter.

Never had really any problems with cabs in BKK after I sorted that out. <<

From my experience, only a very few know the way (even if going from Sukh Soi 5 to Sukh Soi 11; I think, you are lost if you do not know the way) and still some are trying to go without a meter. Most problems are imo, when going to the airport (they try to charge a THB 50 surcharge, try to fix the price ("I do not have a return guest") etc.).

At a glance, my rating for BKK taxi drivers is not the best.

Hi,

"At a glance, my rating for BKK taxi drivers is not the best."

I think this is related to you getting most of the rides from tourist destinations. I use taxis quite often and hardly ever have any problems, and if I do it is almost always when leaving from Sukhumvit at night.

Sanuk!

Must agree with KS. The last few year I've rarely had a problem myself. Only once every now and then, but the "non meter fare" has never been ridiculously high (maybe 300 for a usually 250 trip). It's driven the missus over the edge once or twice though for some reason.

khunsanuk said:

He also mentioned that **** wants to put another 100,000 taxis on the streets...

Hmm. And here I'm under the impression that the taxi business in BKK needs some serious regulation. :: In what other city can you depend on that there will be taxi ready to pick you up from the street within 15 seconds?

khunsanuk said:I think this is related to you getting most of the rides from tourist destinations. I use taxis quite often and hardly ever have any problems, and if I do it is almost always when leaving from Sukhumvit at night.

It has been AGES since I've had a taxi even try not to use the meter. I stick to two main rules which seem to work well:

1) Speak thai

2) Always flag down a moving taxi whenever possible

I think the key is speaking Thai. Whenever I have customers/friends in town I always take them from place to place and when I get into the taxi there's never an issue. But when they go off on their own I invariably hear the fallout about drivers trying to negotiate price, stopping at jewelry stores (and to my horror last week a friend of mine visiting here actually fell for it and bought something!!!), showing them massage parlor brochures, and whatnot.

Cheers!

Archived