Cathay Pacific Observations

Dali

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Emirates, I know a Taiwanese woman who flew cabin crew with them for 5 years (she left to do her MA in England). She told me they were wonderful to work for, paid higher, paid for apartment in Dubai and next to no income tax.

I've always believed that happy workers make for good service to the customer.

>She told me they were wonderful to work for, paid higher, paid for apartment in Dubai and next to no income tax.

I've always believed that happy workers make for good service to the customer.

Great. How could they possibly do that?

QF is one of several profitable airlines on the planet. A year ago, they were considering cutting water (drinking water) allowance for their crews from 1 litre down to half a litre per meal sector. Flight attendant's union fought back and "won".

While the world leading airline is looking into such details, we have your story to read.

Fine, but who is funding all that? QF flight attendants are on 25K US$ per year plus expenses.

One thing that remains for sure with QF - maintenance and training have never been compromised.

As Old Hippie, I am an airplane mechanic by trade. What studies I did after that is irrelevant but helps me understand how a good airline works.

SQ flight attendants are on 40 (30 US$?) Singapore dollars per meal sector. And a litre of water.

I've got a feeling that, among all other airlines, the Emirates are what bar girls are among general Thai female population. Get it easy, deliver easy.

And one can love them like a rock.

Bottom line is, most airlines are just operating on a very small profit line, and don't pay their help very well. The industry is just to competitive to allow decent wages. Service and safety have been compromised. Even during the last major economic boom, when the airlines made record profits, most U.S. airline workers were on some sort of pay concessions, a trend that continues now. UAL has had pay cuts for over 10 years, and is looking at another 5 years before any decent raises are given, if then. AMR (American ) is on give backs, NW was on them, but didn't give this time (YET), and most of the airlines that did give raises, have done so in very small amounts. Bottom line is, it sucks working in the aviation industry. Even the flight benifits which used to be free now have to be paid for, often at not great savings compared to advanced bookings, sucks for frequent weekend travelers like myself. The more pissed the workers get, look for service to suck! The more work in maintaince is sent out of the country to the low cost bidder, look for safety to start to slip!

OH,

" the industry is just too competitive to allow decent wages " . might well be but excludes captains . as we are talking about Cathay : before the SARS / 9-11 crisis a 747 captain mid fifties made up to 300.000 USD a year. now it is somewhat less. they get a bonus if they use less fuel. Once i was sitting in a Thai cockpit crossing the Indian Ocean eastbound when the Thai captain had an argument with a CX captain about arrival at a certain waypoint . the CX folks are notorious cheaters about this because they speculate on more economic altitudes to save fuel to increase their bonus. captains are overpaid worldwide , same as moderators of Thai nightlife related boards. :onfire:

BuBi

Archived