12am closing times/Int. Min seeks approval 13 Jan.

Whitney

spirit_of_town_hall said:

I would say 30 % of tourists to Thailand are there for the night life.

Hi sth,

20%, 30% - we will never know what the true figure is, but a lot. Like it or not, it is a significant economic activity. I suspect this is not over yet, though. The implication of the press report is that the ban was too wide ranging - I would not be surprised if the final decision exempts a lot of places, but not the farang oriented night life venues, so back to square one. :banghead:

Interesting times. :beer:

Khwai

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

> I would say. In other words, about 20% of tourist arrivals are here for the nightlife.

Old stats, I think yr 2000, if I remember correctly (does not really matter, the proportion is about that): 8 out of 12 million visitors were single male.

We can only guess how many came for pure tourism, how many for business, then busness and a bit on a side and how many straight for sanuk.

Don Muang handles 26 million passengers a year, including Thais.

A wild guess could be 1.6-2.2 mil men go there for sanuking holiday. That's around 20% with a high margin for an error (upwards?).

What do they spend? 1000US$ on average, in addition to air ticket? Goes over 2 bn US$ in direct spending.

I believe it goes higher but even 2bn is a very respectable sum.

Gringo, no it wont because with this the rules of selling alcohol will be in place. The 7 /11 arround my place does not sale any alcohol between 1am and 6am already. So do many others, like the ones at Soi Rangnam. Trust we are getting pissed at home then, going to the Supermarket every Friday buying shiploads of supply. :drunk: Cheers, :beer:

Looks like the decision today was to postpone the next decision until March.

I think many here are under the misconception that this decision is solely aimed at the farang nigghtlife. Sorry to say but it isn't. The decision is or was to affect ALL night time entertainment venues. Which not only include go-go- but Thai pubs, discos, karaoke joints and last but not least internet cafes. Yes ... you read correctly intetrnet cafes. So for those of you that really think this is a Xenephobe plot to go after the farang it appears it isn't. There is an element in the Thai government that is really bent on minimizing nightlife in all aspects whether it be Thai or Farang oriented.

My thai-chinese friend (girl) was telling me today about this 12:00 closing time and she really hopes that Thailand will eventually get rid of farang sex tourism and she was soooo happy telling me this. She really hates sex tourists and farang oriented bargirls and nearly fainted when i was walking with her on Sukhumvit one night and she watched the trade going on there. Anyway she doesn't give a shit if thai men have 10 mia nois or visit massage parlours once a month. It's their privilege she says Strange country...

For the Thais it must ALL BE HIDDEN behind closed doors or one l(Thailand)oses face.

Classic idiotic hypocrisy and I say this as one who has very little to do with the bar scene..

Sorry she may be very nice but DUHHHHHHHHH :: :banghead:

Gee. I wonder who owns all the property to the new "entertainment zones", it wouldn't be a small group of ethnic Chinese-Thai people with the right affiliations, would it?

What all this tells me is:

1. All foriegn investors in Thailand should BEWARE.

2. The nighlife scene appears to be doomed.

3. The new "entertainment zone" bar owners will follow the Chinese tradition of worshipping the "money god", making p4p exorbitantly expensive for the average person.

4. This is all about a transfer of wealth in an extremely lucrative cash industry, and has nothing to do with young Thais running around late at night.

5. Worse is to follow...

Interesting theory thread on thai newsgroups. I had a feeling there'd be a twist to the announcement, as the reprecussions if this went wrong would have a big effect on revenue. Thaksin has referred to blanket solutions as barking up the wrong tree, I would guess the Zoning areas and a bit more thought may go into the next round of ideas. Let's see if there is further delay to March 1st announcements, as there has been to the zoning implementations.

> > Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in a televised cabinet meeting

> > the Interior Ministry's idea of making entertainment places and

> > restaurants close at the witching hour was impractical.

>

> A cabinet meeting on TV, and Thaksin makes Interior Minister Mohammad

> Nor look like a fool? This is no accident. Thaksin knew this proposal

> was coming, but is setting Mohammad up to be sacked from the government

> by killing it at the last moment, in public.

>

> Mohammad was supposed to keep law & order in the South by being the

> Muslim insider in the government. That didn't work. Thaksin lost face

> when the guerrillas/terrorists attacked last week. Mohammad is finished.

>

As well he should be (this time, and all the previous times!). Wan Nor has

always just been the token Muslim, and Government Kissass, in my opinion.

What has he done? Nothing of note, that I'm aware of. He's had his job

because he's a convenient scape-goat, and he does what he's told.

Of course he should go. But who'll replace him? It sure won't be Surin

Pitsuwan, as some have suggested. He's been a Democrat for a long time, and

is one of the main reasons why the Democrats have such a strong political

base in the south. Surin is highly respected by people in the south, and

he's given no sign of switching camps....Yet. It'll be interesting to see if

that changes before the election next year...

Archived