12am closing times/Int. Min seeks approval 13 Jan.

Whitney

I don't see how this is going to happen if there is a big crackdown on the entertainment industry...unless the plan is to just fudge the figures. Go figure...

----------------------------

becasue you keep thinking white western males and a few thousand carousing couples are the target.

Very simply, a friend of mine just came back from Pattaya, where he saw a dozen aeroflot planes at Utapao airport (which used to be mostly BKK airways for civil aviation). Back in town, he was completely amazed at the number of russian tourists in town, couples and families. It is not about being PC, it's about the gvnmt of Thailand not giving a damn about white guys wanting to booze and indulge after 12, or 1AM. And neother a damn about tuktuk drivers, taxis, and whatever industry living off late night tourism. They don't care about that specific segment of the industry (not sex tourism, but very late night tourist industry) what is so hard to understand about that?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My impression is that the aim of the current policies is not primarily the farang p4p industry, if that was the case they could just go and close down/start carckdowns on NEP/SC/Pong. For me it seems more like the current government are extremely social conservatives, who just want to limit nightlife in general also or primarily the Thai sector of the industry.If Thailand gets rid of sextourism that way they will probably consider that a convenient side effect.

The Asians go to bed early.

You know what, I really became observant of that on my most recent trip over CX NY. I partied all night and when going to bed at 9am I noticed the Japanese going to the beach. What is it with Pattaya, the Japanese and the beach at 9am? Its like all the Japanese who came to Pattaya said, "ok at 9am we are going to fucking take the beach over! Not even the Thais will swim!" I refuse to get up at 9am for Pattayas beaches. It must be cold in Japan...

As far as the closing times... I don't even go to Bangkok anymore, I am straight to Pattaya. You can find so much to do after 2am. In Bangkok I find when I did go there that I hooked up early and if she was a good girl, actually keep her a few days. I was afraid of not finding a suitable woman. In Pattaya you can find a fine woman at any hour of the day if you know where to go. If they start messing with Pattaya's closing times then I might bail on Thailand for a while.

Oneye

buffalo_bill said:99,75 % of all Thailand tourists have no clue what Nanaplaza, Soi Sowboy or let alone Ratchada is.

Hi bb,

More like 80%, I would say. In other words, about 20% of tourist arrivals are here for the nightlife. Quite a big portion. If it disappears it would have an impact on the economy, for sure.

Khwai

oneyejacks,

Actually to be more precise, the asian tour groups are Chinese or Korean. The ones who go the beach in the a.m. are Chinese. Saw the same groups during my morning strolls to Starbucks.

Chok dee....

HOKS

Cabinet postpones decision on midnight closure of nightspots

Good news for the restaurant- and entertainment industry. Deputy Prime Minister Purachai Piemsombun didn't get his proposal granted by the cabinet today.

Cabinet postpones decision on midnight closure of nightspot hours

BANGKOK -- The Cabinet today agrees not to approve a proposal requiring all nightspots nationwide to stop their services at midnight, saying that such a blanket, unconditional enforcement of service hours would hurt tourism a large number of people involved.

The Cabinet agrees to set up a working panel, which comprises Deputy Prime Minister Purachai Piemsombun and Deputy Interior Minister Pracha Maleenond, to study the matter on February 6. The final decision has to be made by March 1.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said in a televised cabinet meeting the Interior Ministry's idea of making entertainment places and restaurants close at the witching hour was impractical.

"I would like to see a more thought-out idea, not a blanket proposal, Thaksin said.

"The dusk-to-midnight operating time restriction may be barking up the wrong tree. It will affect restaurants featuring music," Thaksin said.

Source: The Nation

Archived