12am closing times/Int. Min seeks approval 13 Jan.

Whitney

I think this is very encouraging. At least 3 ministers seem to understand both what the real issue is (or should be) and that changing opening hours does not address this issue:
What is most encouraging is that the man that makes the decisions - the PM - understands the issues. They televised the cabinet meeting, and I watched it with a group of Patpong BGs, several of which I have known for years.

This was nothing like watching CSPAN or CNN. It was like watching the World Cup or the Superbowl with rabid sports fans whose team is in the game. Everytime a minister said something in favor of the early closing times, the girls would boo, and everytime a minister questioned the wisdom of the early closing times, the girls would shout and clap. I had trouble following much of the discussion (Note to self: if I am watching an English languge program with someone who speaks English as a second language, don't constantly scream at the TV if I want that person to understand the program.) These girls saw their livilihoods seriously jeopardized if the early closing times went into effect, and they had pretty strong views on the subject.

The most encouraging part of what I saw and could understand was this: the PM understood that the early closing times would (a) not acheive the objective the government was trying to acheive and (B) would have a negative effect on Thailand. He also pointed out that the proposed new rule would lead to some rather absurd results, such as preventing bars in five star hotels from operating in the afternoon.

The Tourism Minister said early closing times would be bad for tourism. Since this is pretty obvious, I am surprised when I see debate about that point in this forum of all places. Even Thailand's tourism minister recognizes that early closing times will affect tourism. And as far as I could tell, not one minister disputed the fact that earlier closing times would cause serious economic harm to a large number of Thais.

Predicting what will happen in Thai politics is asking for trouble, but my guess is that the working group will come back with some proposals that are more narrowly tailored to actually address the problem that the earlier closing times were supposed to acheive. And since none of these proposed policies are intended to harm foreign tourism, I don't expect to see more proposals that will destroy foreign tourism. I see the glass as half full right now. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gadfly1 said:

I think this is very encouraging. At least 3 ministers seem to understand both what the real issue is (or should be) and that changing opening hours does not address this issue:
What is most encouraging is that the man that makes the decisions - the PM - understands the issues. They televised the cabinet meeting, and I watched it with a group of Patpong BGs, several of which I have known for years.

This was nothing like watching CSPAN or CNN. It was like watching the World Cup or the Superbowl with rabid sports fans whose team is in the game. Everytime a minister said something in favor of the early closing times, the girls would boo, and everytime a minister questioned the wisdom of the early closing times, the girls would shout and clap. I had trouble following much of the discussion (Note to self: if I am watching an English languge program with someone who speaks English as a second language, don't constantly scream at the TV if I want that person to understand the program.) These girls saw their livilihoods seriously jeopardized if the early closing times went into effect, and they had pretty strong views on the subject.

The most encouraging part of what I saw and could understand was this: the PM understood that the early closing times would (a) not acheive the objective the government was trying to acheive and (B) would have a negative effect on Thailand. He also pointed out that the proposed new rule would lead to some rather absurd results, such as preventing bars in five star hotels from operating in the afternoon.

The Tourism Minister said early closing times would be bad for tourism. Since this is pretty obvious, I am surprised when I see debate about that point in this forum of all places. Even Thailand's tourism minister recognizes that early closing times will affect tourism. And as far as I could tell, not one minister disputed the fact that earlier closing times would cause serious economic harm to a large number of Thais.

Predicting what will happen in Thai politics is asking for trouble, but my guess is that the working group will come back with some proposals that are more narrowly tailored to actually address the problem that the earlier closing times were supposed to acheive. And since none of these proposed policies are intended to harm foreign tourism, I don't expect to see more proposals that will destroy foreign tourism. I see the glass as half full right now. :)

I like to think the glass is half full, too. I have a nonrefundable airline ticket to BKK after March 1, when they hopefully come to a final resolution. If the final resolution changes the nightlife scene in LOS for the worse, it looks like I'll be using BKK as a hub to go to the PI, Jakarta, and Cambodia.

I think what is hilarious about the entire proposal is that it was based and supported by "an opinion survey of more than 3,000 people including teachers, students and operators of nightspots concluded about 49% of them wanted nightlife to begin at 6pm and shut at midnight".

Let's see less than a majority approve of the proposal, keep in mind it's only 3000 people whereas the businesses that are affected employ millions. This is not even near a clear mandate with less than half of the surveyors supporting a change.

Even more irresponsible is that it is an "opinion survey". Where are the feasibility studies that would demonstrate the economic effects of such a proposal? I am surprised the proposal has gotten as far as it has but then again not really after all TIT.

That proposed 6 hours of business opening for entertainment places, might not have passed as fast as thought also, due to some 4 and 5 star hotel corporations putting in their advice. These properties probably took a big enough hit last year with SARS.

I think the big question for the officials is how much is too much restriction in opening hours will actually influence most tourists to start looking for other destinations.

>>>This clampdown is not caused by the tourist trade it is the Thai adoloescents they are trying to control who are out all night and out of control.<<<

and early closing hours is the typical kneejerk reaction which very possibly will again result in the opposite. the youngsters who really are out of control are not the ones who go and have a few drinks in a club, but the gangs.

they also today hang out until 4 or 5 in the morning, knifing, raping and killing. or have their motorcycle races all night long with regular shootouts (last month just 300 meters away from me they had one in the outskirts, long after the entertainment places closed). early closing hours will make bangkok only more dangerous than it already became since the drugwar.

not really.

he has at least three major fractions in his party: the right (and left) wing traditionalists, the old style godfathers, and the middleclass citicens. he is incredibly smart in playing them out against each other, and then does what he believes is opportune and useful for him.

i believe it will be a few more years before he will be grasping at straws. then, when the bubble bursts.

hope that was not too much politics :cover:

Archived