12am closing times/Int. Min seeks approval 13 Jan.

Whitney

Will they be pissing off the very people they are targeting as their new tourist base ?

---------------------------

I doubt it. Why assume that package tours from China, and other "shop til your drop" asian crowds will be affected?

yes, there are japanese, taiwanese sex tourists, but IMO, the asian tourist crowd goes to bed early.

I also doubt that this midnight thing will be operated in a tourist resort like Pattaya. Not betting anything on it, though, we've seen weirder than that in LOS!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right about wait and see to find out what will really result in the end.

I would give 10 Baht :grinyes: to be a fly on the wall when the govt. officials have their meetings with the tourism folks and listen in on whats being discussed about closing hours.

Maybe their desire is to see an actual reduction of beerbars and go-gos by some of them going out of business because of reduced operating hours and tourists?

"1 thing is certain there will be more and more girls on the streets now... Thats 100% sure."

I think that is almost a certainty. The trade will just move to the street.

The trade already moves to the street. I took a stroll along Sukhumvit and down Soi Nana around 2:30 a.m. last night and there was hardly room to walk. I can't imagine what it will be like if they actually start closing at midnight.

The irony here is that among the Thais I know the biggest objection to the farang p4p scene is that it is so visible. A midnight closing will only make it more visible.

And less controllable.

But wait...I am sure all of the BGs will give up the trade, go back to their farms, do backbreaking work for less than 100 Baht a day, and lead virtuous lives as good Thai girls. Yes, I am certain that is exactly what will happen. What a brilliant social policy!

Gadfly i remember 2 or 3 years back when bars closed 4/5am outside nana there was no one reallly!! and if ya walked to soi7 suckhumvit just the odd katoey!! how times have changed..JOB LOSSES.. EARLIER CLOSING.. termaie /grace closing earlier...

Imagine 11 am closing .. i guess more beer/food stalls on the sois umm

The Nation newspaper mentioned yesterday that the new entertainment zoning laws will be given royal approval sometime this month and that they thought that the new closing times may be announced in conjunction with that. Examples they gave of where the new zones will be were Patpong, Ratchada and one other place, which I can?t remember. They?ll supposedly be open until 4.00am. Still, being Thailand this could all change!

This clampdown is not caused by the tourist trade it is the Thai adoloescents they are trying to control who are out all night and out of control.

I would prefer to wait and see what is actually in the announcement, as the trade off between a 12am/1am opening in non Zoned areas may not be such a bad thing if designated areas can be open until 4am as a trade off.

it is the Thai adoloescents they are trying to control who are out all night and out of control.

---------------------

By and large you are right. They are most likely trying to get some approval for cleaning up a bit the farang sex scene in the wake of regulating all nightlifes, but that's a by-product of tackling youth delinquency.

Still, Would this mean discos close at 12? Can this seriously be done and kept up?

Hi P127,

Yeah, the idea is that discos close at midnight, however my understanding is that they can open at 3pm/15:00, isn't that great, when everybody is at work, you can open your hi tec disco.

I can't see that this opening time at midnight will fly, too many people affected by this in the various industries all over the country, most likely there'll be a meet up in the middle agreement and closing times will be 1am.

Just my 2 baht worth

Archived