12am closing times/Int. Min seeks approval 13 Jan.

Whitney

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Swishtz,

although hardly participating in the nightlife, i couldstill write a book about closing times, barfines etc etc just because you learn these important things on the Nanaplaza board. 99,75 % of all Thailand tourists have no clue what Nanaplaza, Soi Sowboy or let alone Ratchada is. Probably heard of Patpong or Pattaya. So what impact does a

01:00 or 02:00 closing time have on tourism and hence the economy ? Close to nothing even if the news would spread wordwide . maybe some woud like it because they think it is aquiet place.

BuBi

Mr Bill

It has a major knock on effect on the local economy, in terms of Farang tourist visitors probably the end impact will be negligible as you mention. When hours were reduced to 2am it provoked a lot of unrest amongst Taxi drivers, Tuk Tuk drivers etc as they were losing money, which means the food vendors are losing money and the places they spend their money etc etc. Nevermind the breweries who emply workers who bottle and manufacture and the delivery drivers who would see and suffer from a drop in demand through a reduction in consumption time

I lived in Thailand for 2 years and worked as part of the nightlife scene (both the Go Go and respectable) so I do have some idea of what i am talking about. My info comes from those in the trade, not the message boards. There is a lot of revenue that comes off the late night tourist trade into the local economy that would leave a hole if it were to disappear.

99,75 % of all Thailand tourists have no clue what Nanaplaza, Soi Sowboy or let alone Ratchada is. Probably heard of Patpong or Pattaya. So what impact does a

01:00 or 02:00 closing time have on tourism and hence the economy ?

Plenty. I am coming up on 10 years in Thailand, I don't work in the nitery industry (I work for a bank), and for as long as I have been here, Thailand's nightlife has been a major feature in the tourism industry, far more than many realize.

Talk a walk down the lower Sois of Sukhumvit - on some stretches you will see more Farangs than Thais. I cannot think of any other areas of Bangkok where this is true. But I can think of areas of Patong Beach or Pattaya where this true, both places that are centered around the nightlife (who visits Pattaya for the beach?) All of those tourists - and tourists seem to outnumber expats at least 19 to 1 - stay in hotels, eat at restaurants and otherwise contribute heavily to the Thai economy. Its politically correct to say that p4p isn't important to the tourism here, but it isn't true.

This year, 2004, the Tourism Authority of Thailand wants to increase the number of tourists by 20%, and revenues from tourism by almost one-third. Khun Somkid, the Deputy Prime Minister primarily responsible for economic matters in the current government, identified the expected dramatic increase in tourism as one the main drivers of the Thai economy in the year 2004. I don't see how this is going to happen if there is a big crackdown on the entertainment industry...unless the plan is to just fudge the figures. Go figure...

My thai-chinese friend (girl) was telling me today about this 12:00 closing time and she really hopes that Thailand will eventually get rid of farang sex tourism and she was soooo happy telling me this. She really hates sex tourists and farang oriented bargirls and nearly fainted when i was walking with her on Sukhumvit one night and she watched the trade going on there. Anyway she doesn't give a shit if thai men have 10 mia nois or visit massage parlours once a month. It's their privilege she says :dunno: Strange country...

Archived