12am closing times/Int. Min seeks approval 13 Jan.

Whitney

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from the Nation (Nightlife section)

http://www.thailand.com/travel/nightlife/nightlife_bangkok.htm

Closing Time?

By law, all bars and clubs are supposed to close at 1 or 2 am (2 am for places offering dance floors and live music).

The reality is quite different, however, as any visitor to the city will quickly find out. Most of the bars in areas like Patpong actually do close at 2 am, but then the action moves to late-night discos in the area and renowned bars like 'the Thermae' where the partying continues through to the daylight hours and on through the next day for those still on their feet.

Huh? :)

>> Most of the bars in areas like Patpong actually do close at 2 am, but then the action moves to late-night discos in the area and renowned bars like 'the Thermae' where the partying continues through to the daylight hours and on through the next day for those still on their feet. <<

Interesting. Could have been written in the LP or on Stickman's site. ;)

I want BT back!

chuckwoww said:

from the Nation (Nightlife section)

http://www.thailand.com/travel/nightlife/nightlife_bangkok.htm

Closing Time?

By law, all bars and clubs are supposed to close at 1 or 2 am (2 am for places offering dance floors and live music).

The reality is quite different, however, as any visitor to the city will quickly find out. Most of the bars in areas like Patpong actually do close at 2 am, but then the action moves to late-night discos in the area and renowned bars like 'the Thermae' where the partying continues through to the daylight hours and on through the next day for those still on their feet.

Huh? :)

I think this is an old sidebar on the site (has been there for at least a year, maybe longer), so it's somewhat out of date. It should read:

but then the action moves to late-night discos in Pattaya and renowned bars like 'Marine 2' and 'Ibiza' where the partying continues through to the daylight hours and on through the next day for those still on their feet. :rolleyes:

I dont understand the panic, Thaksin has made it clear that he does not believe changing closing times is the correct solution to the problem with underage Thai adolescents going out late and drinking, having sex and drug taking, that is the problem they are trying to solve, it is not aimed at the Farang tourists. The govt has realised that by closing early they will cause a loss of tourism revenue and people to lose jobs.

If they wanted to just change the opening hours they would have done so last week, it has gone back to the drawing board, so if they do that and come to the same conclusion again, it will cause Thaksin to lose face, which will not be allowed to happen.

I would guess one of the following will happen:

1) They will delay for more time to decide

2) They will introduce extreme punishment for places letting in under age folks and the underage people or demand additional checks at the door or maybe raise the drinking/club entry age.

3) They will use this as a method of introducing the Zoning laws and limit late night (to be defined) activities to these Zones, which must be policed effectively.

4) They will attempt to categorise nighttime venues that are exempt from this early closing either by geography or activity, ie Hotel Restaurant Bars etc

I would be fairly surprised if the solution to this that is supposed to be announced on 1st March is a 1am closing instead of a midnight, as that would go against the reasoning for the re-think. I land 1st week of March and am not too concerned that I will have to be tucked up in bed my midnight or 1am, if that is the case once I get there then it'll probably be my last trip.

Let's wait & see what they come up with, I guessed elsewhere that there would be a twist to Jan 13th announcement and they may stall for times, so here's hoping the crystal ball is still working ! But I also guess that there is alot more going on politically than just closing times, cabinet members are jostling for hounours, whilst others are being "put down".

Archived