Chinese New Year (year of the Monkey) started

BrownFox77

buffalo_bill said:

Official New Year is tomorrow 21st. In Taiwan and Mainland offices/factories/ many shops closed between 19th and 26th. Main holidays are 22/23/24/25 . Hongkong banks closed 22/23 :onfire: . Eden Club open because owner French.

BuBi

Lunar New Years day is 22nd. Official PRC holidays are 22, 23, 24. Unofficial days go through 28th, making the holiday a weeklong break. Most people have taken yesterday (20th) or today (21st) off in order to get to family home (trains and buses have been booked solid for weeks). Things will not be back to normal until after next week.

Gong Xi Fa Cai !

TH

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I am not Chinese (duhh), I don't have any firsthand knowledge, but from my experience here I have seen the following:

a. Chinese New Year is a big deal in Thailand, especially in business circles.

b. Yesterday, 20th, is the last day for cleaning and shopping.

c. Today, 21st, is the Respect for the deceased day, and also Respect for the Gods day. I believe that respect for the deceased must be done before 12:00 noon, and respect for the Gods must be done very early.

d. Tomorrow, 22nd, is the first day of the Year of the Monkey. Chinese believe that this day should only be for eating, rest and enjoying family. No work. Elders give "An Pao" or the Red Envelope with money to their offspring and workers. Shops will be closed, and should be closed for at least three days.

e. The second day of the new year, up until about the seventh day of new year also carry meanings, but not sure exactly what each day is suppose to represent.

Cheers!

"My Chinese connections tell me that today, the 21st, is New Year's eve, and New Year's Day is tomorrow, the 22nd"

My Chinese connections tell me the same thing. I believe them since I am in China and I'm working today and not tomorrow (and not for 5days after).

TH

"I seem to recall the Chinese new year really isn't that big in LOS, almost a non event...did see a small dragon parade in Pattaya one year, but that was about it."

Cant agree with that one. It seems everyone in Thailand is prepared to claim some sort of Chinese ancestry if it is an excuse for a piss up. For the sizeable Chinese community it is a big thing, but I think for most people today is the main day.

Old Hippie said:

I seem to recall the Chinese new year really isn't that big in LOS, almost a non event...did see a small dragon parade in Pattaya one year, but that was about it.

OH,

There were actually at least 3 'roving' Chinese dragons on Walking Street last Chinese New Years, with 1 really big dragon that was 'operated' by 100 men inside. I can attest to its size as I, along with many other revellers actually ran under the largest of the moving dragons to get from one side of Walking Street to the other several times (the timing to get under it was pretty fun)...

That night, as I 1st went to Walking Street I thought Pattaya was ablaze with fires - as there were many torches and actual bonfires throughout Walking Street along with many fireworks. The crowds were dense and at some points of Walking Street you could barely pass through the crowds. I foolishly did not take my camera with me that night.

Would suggest those lucky enough to be in Pattaya right now to be sure and check out Walking Street on the night of the 22nd - may not be as good as last years but who knows it might be even better! :D

OH's memory may be correct if he hasn't been here for Chinese New Year for a long time. I've watched it grow in popularity from year to year myself, until now it's a really, REALLY big deal. It did not used to be, in my early days here.

It seems everyone in Thailand is prepared to claim some sort of Chinese ancestry if it is an excuse for a piss up

Yeah, just like St. Patrick's day in the west where everyone suddenly has a wee bit of Irish in them.

Archived