Chinese New Year (year of the Monkey) started

BrownFox77

Chinese New Years is 22 JAN however it apparently started today (20 JAN). At the Jasmine Suites they came by every room (twice so far), 1st giving each guest some fruit, then came around giving everyone a neat little diary book (each time saying happy new year).

A nice touch but being that its the year of the Monkey I was hoping for a small mischievous little monkey that might accompany me to the bars.

Will post back if I see anything being done in the Bars. I was in Pattaya last Chinese New Years and Walking Street was a blast that night: many fireworks, roving dragon's, etc.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One Chinese acquaintance of mine is taking a holiday tomorrow, saying that tomorrow is Chinese New Year's Eve. The actual days are January 22-24, technically. I guess people start early, though, and I think in China they've been partying since last week.

In Falang land, holidays are generally singular day events. In Asia, a holiday may span several days, even weeks. The length of the celebration does not seem to reflect the community but that of the indivual. Some celebrate only one day for Chinese New Years, but others celebrate several days. As for me, it started on the 20th and will last for about 4 days.

non event in thailand? i do not think so! a lot of thais like to emphasize on any ancestor in their family, who is chinese. i have met many thais, who claim to be from chinese origin, but usually they do not speak any chinese. it is very popular among thais to claim chinese ancestor.

therfore many companies close down during chinese new year and many families with chinese ancestor (even 3-4 generations ago) celebrate the lunar new year.

Archived