Visa to USA for GTG

Hiyas all you visa wizards...

Here's my scenario. I'll be heading to the US for my sister's wedding in June and would like to take my (GTG, University-enrolled, middle-class family) girlfriend with me- then after that pop down to Florida and go to Universal Studios and Disney for a couple of days then back... total time approx 2 weeks including flight times.

Problem is I've heard that getting visas for TGs is an absolute nightmare. First stop will be the US Embassy to ask what forms we need to fill out, but I'm procrastinating as I don't want to deal with headaches and interrogations.

What do ya all reckon her chances are? She has a passport but thus far hasn't been out of the country.

Cheers!

I suggest that you go talk personally to an official at the embassy, procrastination won't get your girl here on a tourist visa. I have Thai friends here in the States attending school with student visa and they avoid going back to LOS for years because of fear that the visas may not be renewed or they will have a hassle re-entering the country (post 9/11).

All of my Thai friends that currently seem to get visas to the US at will (to go shopping or visit friends and family) seem to work for the Thai government in some capacity, are connected or already have family over here. Most of them have also previously traveled, worked or studied abroad.

Go talk to the embassy first to get all of the facts and proper procedures understood and good luck.

No need to go to the embassy to get the forms. Here is a link. Vias Info

She should have aletter from the school, and solid evidence of address (letter from landlord or whatever), and if she works, a letter from her employer saying she has vacation and when she is expected back. Bring bankbook, photos, car title if she has one. Don't forget the photos and pay equivalent of $100 fee (can pay that at Nana post office, but NOT at embassy).

What are the odds? Too many variables. Just try! The only headache is waiting in line! First day you go to consulate to give them all the forms. She will get an appointment the next day. That day she will either get the visa or an apointment for an interview.

Good luck.

>She should have aletter from the school, and solid evidence of address (letter from landlord or whatever),

My gf got both letters. One from her school is in English, on a school memo. Reads something like:

"We hereby confirm that Ms X is a regular student of our school since, sector ..., has excellent attendance record and is of a good character."

WOAH!!!

Hope you managed to climb back into your pram after that little outburst!

How dare those thai peasants speak to you, an American, in such a manner... I'm surprised that they allow them to work at all!!!

By the way, thats called sarcasm :neener:

Oh, and perhaps that security guard fellow couldn't quite read the passport when it was initially thrust in his face!

;)

"My last visit, I needed to get papers notarized and I was initally helped by a Thai person who was quite rude too me. I was a bit taken aback. She thought I was thai and was a bit interrogating. I really wanted her to come back and finish the assignment with me because I wanted her name and to nail her to the wall. She's on American soil and she SERVES Americans. She's not on Thai soil and has no rights to make such demands as she had on an American. In any event, she must have known I was going to go apeshit because she passed me off to a vice-consul who processed me with exceptional professionalism that I could not fault.

On another visit, the guard interrogated me BEFORE I entered the compound. Took two tries before he realized I was speaking English and not Thai. When asked why I was there I said I needed to have amendments to my passport (which I held up in front of his face). What was his next question you ask: "Are you an American, and do you have your passport?" At this point I just shoved it right against his face and walked passed him. Gahhhhh"

Archived