Smacking another families child

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but what if you politely ask the parents and they react like screaming banshees, perceiving any request as an implication of their low status and an affront to their honour. You could be opening a whole new arena of confrontation which could be easily avoided by allowing the child to do whatever they want.

Probably the best way would be to ask the staff to add some kind of sedative to the whole family's food, but beware, many restaurants are reluctant to do this.

You could be opening a whole new arena of confrontation which could be easily avoided by allowing the child to do whatever they want.

You make it sound so simple, avoid any problems by allowing the kid to piss on your head if he feels the need for it :).

I know what you mean, but I don't have the patience nor the self-control to allow such things.

I might indeed be wiser to ask the staff for a solution before taking one's own measures.

I don't know much about how Thais raise their kids and disciplining. I have observed a Thai friend of mine who owns a shop which is frquented by children. Occassionally 1 or 2 act way out of line and I have seen my friend whack them a couple of times. I don't pay much attention to it because it is none of my business. I know I haven't seen any angry Thai parents coming to his shop to kick his butt.

I thought it was illegal in the UK now to smack your own kids never mind other peoples. You should have tripped the little sod up as it ran around, or you could have given the pepper pot a good shake in the face. As with bad dogs you have to blame the owners of course-peter

First of all, execrcise restraint and perhaps a polite, pointed glance at, or word to, the parents.

My gut says that for any adult who hits MY son, loss of face may take on a quite literal meaning. I would hope that I could exercise a more Buddhist approach.

Asa a last resort, one may have to apologize to the child's parents for accidentally backing your chair into the child's flight path.

Which is pathetic IMHO. My dad smacked the shit outta me when I deserved it. As did all of my friend's parents. Got smacked at friend's houses too. When I complained, my parents just shrugged their shoulders and said: "Their house, thier rules. Too bad."

Kids today do things on a regular basis that we would have NEVER even thought of in the 60's & 70's and I was a mediocre kid in a very bad neighborhood. It stems from a lack of old fashioned discilpine in my opinion.

And yes, my daughters got smacked (by their mother) when growing up. She felt it was her place to do it not me. If we had a boy, it would have been my deal.

Let the flames begin...

Cheers,

SD

"Let the flames begin... "

So you are sitting there with your wife and daughter (say she was about 3 or 4 at the time), you have your back to the table next to you and all of a sudden behind you hear loud smack and your daughter starts screaming (this is assuming she got from your table, something I wouldn't allow, but stay with me) and it is quickly obvious that the young (half drunk) English guy sitting in the next table has smacked her across the face.

What would you do?

TH

Archived