LAX to Singapore - Direct !

gobbledonk

shygye said:

I HATE NRT. :cussing: I have gotten stuck there due to connecting aircraft problems. The airport closes the runway exactly at 11PM. Losing a day in LOS is mai sanuk mak. :onfire:

Closing at 11pm, now that would suck. So, I can imagine you're standing there, in NRT what went wrong? Was it aircraft problem, or arrive too late to connect?

Japan is ridiculously expensive $$$$. I would not care to pay to stay for any length of time in that country, unless it was some kind of package tour.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the airline pay for a hotel room? I believe for a mechanical problem, airline pays for accommodations, but I've never looked into who pays hotel for medical diversions.

Here is a link to a report about the first flight that occurred I think on 3 Feb. LAX-SIN

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/159431_longestflight05.html?searchpagefrom=1&searchdiff=2

Each flight outta HKG seemed to be the baby express with newly adpoted Chinese girl babies going to the States.

Several years ago, I was amazed to find out that there were so many of these in numbers that it was actually considered as a market segment. Thnaks for the warning, I don't ever want to be on one of these flights, especaily to, or even from, from Newark! Aren't there local black or hispanic kids that they can adopt? :dunno:

artefsky,

there was a trip report about the inaugural flight written by a travel agent . This travel agent was an Autralian so I am not sure if it can be worth anything but it was in the Asian Wall Street Journal on Thursday I believe. This man said it was just as any other transpacific flight and no major additional boredom due to the assembly areas where you can walk around and have a chat . There was even a photo of two people drinking beer which sounds encouraging. But probably the Australian agent just disturbed a pre-strike briefing of some Arabs .

Man Australia measured the whole fuselage inside and found out that the seat pitch in economy is 94 centimeter which is a lot for plain coach. I still have the article in my luggage somewhere. if anybody interested I could be more specific on Monday.

BuBi

LOL ! Yes, I am a morbid bastard, Phil ::

The thing is that I abandon *all* such fears the moment I board a plane, train or automobile which someone else is controlling. After my hair-raising return from Bandung to Jakarta a few short weeks ago, I am now convinced that the Lord has a much more interesting end in mind for Yours Truly. By all the laws of physics, I should now be a hood ornament on the Indo version of a 'Mack' truck.

Fancy a bareback tour of Mumbai, old son ? ::

>This travel agent was an Autralian so I am not sure if it can be worth anything but it was in the Asian Wall Street Journal on Thursday I believe.

Well said.

Other than to NZ (2:30), Australians have long flights only.

14 hrs to LAX, 9hrs to BKK (then 11-12 to London), 10 to Tokyo, 8 to Singapore, 9 to HKK...

I mean, by force of their isolation they should understand long hauls better than average travelling public...

"I was thinking more of a single engine failure forcing a belly-landing somewhere on the polar icecap, or does that only happen in movies?"

You daft bugger, you believe too mutt Hollywood LOL!!!

Twin engine plance can fly just fine on one engine. Extended-range twin-engine operations, ETOPS, is the name given to the ability of aircraft to receive approval from the US Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) and the European Joint Aviation Authority (JAA) for extended flights of more than one hour?s diversion time from alternate airports on one engine. Normally, ETOPS certification is approved after one to two years of airline service to demonstrate reliability, but Boeing is seeking that approval upon delivery. Longer ETOPS certification allows more direct routing, economizing both time and fuel. The basic ratings are 75-, 90-, 120-, 138- and 180-minutes. Trans-Pacific planes are rated at 180-minutes. That is, they have a maximum diversion time of 180 minutes (+15 emergency time) from an enroute alternate airport at single-engine cruise speed.

For newer routes via the polar areas, some new rules are:

? This area is governed by current 180-minute ETOPS authority, with the ability to gain an exception on a case-by-case basis to go to 240 minutes based only on weather extremes at the alternates.

? Polar weather-related requirements are addressed and follow the guidelines that are outlined in the current FAA Polar Operations Letter.

? The operation requires a new, 240-minute type design for the airframe/engine combination (AEC).

? The inflight shutdown rate (IFSD) may not exceed .01/1,000 hours?i.e., one inflight engine shutdown for every 100,000 hours of flight time of that engine/airframe combination by that airline (half the current 180-minute criteria of .02/1,000 hours).

So, what about 747s and other 3-4 engined planes you ask? Regulations applicable to long-range operations of three- and four-engine airplanes beyond 180 minutes include the following:

? Requirements for ETOPS maintenance, operations, and dispatch are similar to those for ETOPS twins.

? All airplane systems must be designed to "support" the diversion. Once again, this means that each airplane system must be capable of functioning to protect the airplane during the maximum divert authority plus 15 minutes.

? A route must be planned to the nearest available alternate within 240 minutes of the airplane?s planned routing, or if unable, up to the airplane?s system capabilities. The basic regulatory requirement is, "The operator must designate the nearest available ETOPS alternate(s) along the planned route of flight."

? All flights must also abide by the specific polar operational requirements when within that region.

? These requirements for enroute alternates, commensurate type design, and proactive flight following when beyond 180 minutes from an alternate are all contained in the Federal Air Regs (FARs).

Dat enough usless knowledge for ya?

Cheers,

SD

PS -- A bit of aery-o-plane driver humor: ETOPS really means "Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim" :D!

thinktoomutt,

the only Australians I have ever met were on a photo sitting in front of a hut . they were very dark skinned, had white powder all over their face and the lady who wrote the article said nobody should sell them alcoholic beverages.This makes sense.

BuBi

PS .the SIA report has been in the weekend edition of the Asian Wall Street Journal

Archived