SMS to and from Thailand

I started a thread on this subject at the beginning of the year and have just got an up date on it from Vodafone UK.

It seems that there has been a major problem across the whole Thai mobile phone network that the Thai companies have been pretty slow to act upon. My gf called DTAC yesterday and within 30 minutes was able to send me sms messages again. God / Buddha know what they did that they were unable to do all the previous times she called them but it works again now. :hubba:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thaipan...... where are you receiving th SMS messages?

I checked my 1-2 Call handbook before I left LOS last week and I found that one could not call direct to the UK, so presume no SMS either.

Anyone want to make a reliable list of where various providers, namely 1-2 Call and DTAC can phone direct and/or SMS.

My Rogers AT&T sim in canada will not let me call direct to LOS (expensive anyway) so I use a calling card (damned cheap). Only problem is the calling card uses a switch in LOS and the GF thinks I'm there and gets pissed off because I don't visit.

Any SMS solutions would be a great help.

The card is branded Liberty, but I'd have to go look up the real provider. I know a fair bit about phone cards as I used to produce them but SMS is a new playing field for me.

I may try this SMS service from Yahoo messenger if I can ever d/l the client. :banghead:

I think you have made a mistake here.

You can call the UK direct with One2Call and Happydprompt. I've also called other countries in Europe and South America from Thailand via HappyDprompt(DTAC)

It is certainly possible I screwed up. Only know that my 3 tries to call England on my 1-2Call Sim enabled phone failed to go through. There of course could have been many reasons for this. But checking the manual that came with the card, the UK was not listed as a destination one could call.

Will have to try again next trip. ::

BTW, I had no problems calling Europe or North America with this card. :dunno:

So back to the SMS question. I have now used the Yahoo messenger service to send SMS to LOS. Don't know if it went through or not yet. Or if they can reply to it.

Anyone with a reliable SMS solution ??

LaoHuLi said:

So back to the SMS question. I have now used the Yahoo messenger service to send SMS to LOS. Don't know if it went through or not yet. Or if they can reply to it.

Anyone with a reliable SMS solution ??

Glad you made it home OK.

Thanks for the note on the phonecard. I'll try a Google.

I've been able to get the Yahoo SMS to work for all Thai numbers except those starting with "07". Kinda bizarre. Always says something like "number not registered on netwrok". Of course, it seems that about 1/2 the numbers I want to use are "07" numbers!!

No problems with calling the UK. Have a friend on One2Call who has called me in the UK.

1. Use this for AIS/One2Call mobile telephones(any number prefixes) AIS/One2Call SMS

2. Use this for DTAC/Dprompt/HappyDprompt mobile telephones(any number prefixes) DTAC/Dprompt/HappyDprompt SMS

For no.1, the receiver has to initiate the service by calling *931 or by sending a blank text message to 900931

For no.2, any DTAC telephone can be registered for 50 web messages per month. The mobile has to be in Thailand to make a confirmation call.

DTAC register

Archived