Detecting 2 Way Mirrors!

Neon Ninja

I know I already posted this in another thread, but I figure it to be too important (assuming this method of detection is accurate) to allow it to get buried in an unrelated thread.

Anyhow on this other thread a few people had concerns that the hotel they were staying at might be using a "2 way mirror" with a security camera behind it.

I did a google search on "Detecting 2 way mirror" and came up with the following:

---------------------------------------------------

HOW TO DETECT A 2-WAY MIRROR:

When we visit toilets, bathrooms, hotel rooms, changing rooms, etc., how many of you know for sure that the seemingly ordinary mirror hanging on the wall is a real mirror, or actually a 2-way mirror i.e., they can see you, but you can't see them). There have been many cases of people installing 2-way mirrors in female changing rooms or bathroom or bedrooms. It is very difficult to positively identify the surface by just looking at it. So, how do we determine with any amount of certainty what type of mirror we are looking at?

CONDUCT THIS SIMPLE TEST:

Place the tip of your fingernail against the reflective surface and if there is a GAP between your fingernail and the image of the nail, then it is a GENUINE mirror.

However, if your fingernail DIRECTLY TOUCHES the image of your nail, then BEWARE, IT IS A 2-WAY MIRROR!(there is someone seeing you from the other side). So remember, every time you see a mirror, do the "fingernail test."

It doesn't cost you anything. It is simple to do.

The reason there is a gap on a real mirror, is because the silver is on the back of the mirror UNDER the glass. Whereas with a two-way mirror, the silver is on the surface. Keep it in mind! Make sure and check every time you enter in hotel rooms. May be someone is making a film on you.

-------------------------------

-=/NN

Hi,

We had this same thread a while ago. Actually, you do not need to use your fingernail. The tip of your finger works better. Or even the eraser end of a pencil. If you look from the side, in the case of using your finger, and can see your fingerprints in the reflection, then it is not two-way. But in all cases, can be a little tricky to tell, if the glass is very thin.

Also good to realize that just because a mirror passes the test, that it does not mean that a traditional mirror cannot be used. All you need to do is scratch off a small portion of the silver backing on a real mirror, and that will give you a wide angle exposure into the room (I'm talking about the size of the large end of a pinhead).

Had a case here in US a while back here concerning Ramada Inn hotels. Seems most were built with a service corridor between the rooms that could be accessed by employee's. They drilled through the drywall, scratched a tiny portion of the mirror backing, and hooked up video cam. Apparently went on for years, before detected.

Should also note that with the incredible advances in spy equipment as of late, a two-way mirror is no longer needed. Lenses the size of an eraser head can be placed anywhere, and unless you do a complete sweep of the room, are virtually undetectable.

HT

Hi,

It's not an urban legend. The article only explains that it is not the "best" way to determine, and can be difficult to do in certain lighting, etc., conditions.

HT

This is BS! The test only tells you whether the mirror is front surfaced or rear surfaced. 2-way mirrors are made by applying a partial reflective film (silver or Aluminum).

Only optical instrument mirrors are front surfaced. They are too delicate for normal use because the reflective film is easily damaged. Regular glass mirrors are rear surfaced and the backside is painted to protect the reflective surface.

Make sure your best bits are facing the camera.

If a film is being made or if someone is spying on you then don't make a prick of yourself on camera.

Just think it could be your best performance and you need to get it all in view.

If we all go around worrying about things like that then we might as well stay at home and climb into a big black bag for a wank.

Enjoy yourself.

Archived