report LAX-NRT-BKK on United

OCgringo

jjsushi said:

... Much better to get a shower and some food in NRT and arrive an hour later.

The showers at NRT really make my trips over a pleasure, Shower, sleep 5 hours, arrive BKK, just throw your bags in the room and ready to go!

My local time is 12 hours behind BKK, so when I awaken at 11:00 PM, it feels like I just got up right before noon.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bradley terminal ain't much better, and every time I pass there it hits me how badly I want to move overseas.

Recently I was first off my CX flight. Well not first off, as we had a west-pad remote gate, but first off the first bus and into customs. Checked the queues, as you do in BKK, and opted for the shortest queue that we US citizens were being directed to. We only had two agents handling our queue, while the other HUGE lines (despite fingerprints/photos and whatever the fuck else they were doing) were moving along smoothly. By the time (and it was only 1/2 hour) I (and all the 1st class pax behind me) got through immigration, most of the others had already claimed their bags.

I walked toward the control booth in the middle of the room to complain about the resource allocations, but I couldn't find a way to access the booth and figured I'd be labeled as a terrorist if I tried to do so. :eek:

That terminal has been obsolete since the day it opened. I hate it. It was built in the early 80s yet they use two baggage carousels to handle heavy aircraft and the ground staff have to take off the bags as they come off so as not to jam up the carousel, so you have to do a walk-about of the carousels to find your bags on the floor! This really pisses you off if you only had one carry-on but it was over 7kg and they made you check it in wherever you embarked.

Don't get me started about LAX. Or the whole passenger transport system in the US, for that matter. LOL

The airports in Kuala Lumpur,Singapore,Incheon and Hong Kong are quite modern and are much more user friendly. LAX is a disgrace, and resembles and functions like a third world airport more than anything.

That whole arrivals area at Tom Bradley Terminal, immigration,customs, and luggage carousels resemble a freight depot. I found it quite idiotic that they would unload luggage onto two different carousels from the same flight, and you end up walking around trying to find your luggage, or trying to find it in the piled up luggage taken off by the ground staff as you said.

LAX is in desperate need of an upgrade, and is 20 years behind most of the worlds major airports.

Whitney said:

That whole arrivals area at Tom Bradley Terminal, immigration,customs, and luggage carousels resemble a freight depot. I found it quite idiotic that they would unload luggage onto two different carousels from the same flight, and you end up walking around trying to find your luggage, or trying to find it in the piled up luggage taken off by the ground staff as you said.

I can't understand the logic behind the use of 2 carousels for one flight either. Very frustrating. Maybe that is why I always attempt to use carry on.

think_too_mut said:

>The Narita -LAX was also full , slept thru most of it ,

What plane do they use? I always see 777 but now my flight numbers are showing 747. Could be I'm on an ANA codeshare.

United use 777, ANA 747. IMO for this leg the business class seats on ANA are better than the ones on UA

I always see 777 but now my flight numbers are showing 747.

I believe when they changed the flight number (from UAL 875/876 to 837/838) they also shifted back to 747s like the old days. Not 100% certain as I have been flying down on TG and ANA lately.

UAL875 said:

I always see 777 but now my flight numbers are showing 747.

I believe when they changed the flight number (from UAL 875/876 to 837/838) they also shifted back to 747s like the old days. Not 100% certain as I have been flying down on TG and ANA lately.

Flew last week:

BKK-NRT: 747 (35A, window, exit row)

NRT-SEA: 777 (bumped to business, 11A, window, no seat in front of me)

SEA-IAD: A320 (bumped to first, 2A, window)

IAD-CHO: the dreaded CRJ- but at least I got row 8 (exit) with an empty seat next to me

Thanks to Flyertalk.com and Seatguru.com for this extra info on seating!

Happy Trails

they still have flight 875 it connects in Denver to Seatle on a 777 and then you take a 777 from Seatle to NRT...777 from Nrt to BKK. Doesn't flight 837 go through SFO...it's on a 747!

SB

Archived