Privacy Issues

khunsanuk

In my case, when I lived in Bangkok a couple of years ago, I got in the habit of going out on Friday nights with a couple of guys from the office to the old board meeting place. I made the decision not to introduce myself or get involved with other members there, because I did not want to intermingle by board identity with "real" people for the very reason you are trying to put into rules.

I didn't read this the first time over, but I think that is very sad. I think it also demonstrates why we should have rules regarding board members' privacy. The reason why I like this board so much is the fact that it is so much more than a virtual community. For me, the friday meetings and the friends I have made through this board are more important than the board itself. You do not know what you are missing!

Cheers,

soongmak

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no such thing as privacy. Anyone who cannot accept this has a distorted sense of reality. There is a certain 'respect' we should have for each other as 'members of a community'.

I have two board names. I changed my board name a while back because someone outside of the board, with whom I have a testy relationship, learned my boardname and began trying to blackmail me. They were not a member of this community. Formerly I posted under the name 'culturecypher'. After dealing with the problem I really don't give a rats ass who knows that now but please understand I speak from experience, there is no such thing as privacy.

But I don't see how Blackie was 'outed' in any way, shape, or form. The comments made were perhaps a bit rude, but they were not the most shocking things I read today.

Say, Khun Sanuk after outing myself can i please have credit for the total number of postings I have made under one username?

This point in the previous thread was not answered, but it still deserved one : because those BGs are not here to defend themselves if gossipped upon, boardmembers can defend themselves.

True, but does that mean you can give out all info regarding a person just because they can defend themselves? How about my hypothetical example, do you think it would be nice to expose a board members' vulnerability like this?

For me it is like kicking a man when he is down, and despicable as such.

Cheers,

soongmak

Hi Thaihome,

>>>Efforts at legislating discretion never work.<<<<

It's works every single day on this board.

>>>>You make the choice to socialize in "real life" with fellow board members. When you do so, that "real" relationship cannot help but carryover to your "board" relationship.<<<<

What we are talking about is regulating any negative stuff shared. We can very much make that not carry over to "Board" relationships. It's called a delete key.

>>>>Beside, enforcing this will pretty much take the humour out of the highly amusing trip reports from the London bunch.<<<

The difference there is that they all internaly agree to have their exploits shit-spattered all over the board. This group does not mind having their experiences, good or bad, told to the world. That is fine, but I promise you they do not represent the masses here. Additionally, it's all in good fun with them. I've never know any of them once to speak viciously of another, in their group.

HT

My thoughts as well soongmak, - it's a privately run web-forum and if you don't like what's on offer or the rules, well, the door is over there...but having said that, this board seems to have in place the necessary minimum rules in place currently for a forum dealing in the "Thai" domain and has to protect its public content accordingly...but please, we don't want to have privacy policies etc like the law books in a Judge's Private Chamber - tell the mods to delete shit from the postings at will, warn the posters and trust in your moderators - oh, and keep the thread closures to an absolute minimum, otherwise we are acting like the certain country we all know well that curtails debate, let people be dropkicks and then pounce if it really goes out-of-boundries, but it would ultimately have to be clear-cut. Let the posts run free and just terminate the neanderthals...

Hi buddha,

>>>>>But I don't see how Blackie was 'outed' in any way, shape, or form.<<<<<

So you don't have problem in me replying to your post that I happen to know you are a deadbeat dad, and beat your present second wife on a nightly basis?

Think about it.

HT

"True, but does that mean you can give out all info regarding a person just because they can defend themselves? How about my hypothetical example, do you think it would be nice to expose a board members' vulnerability like this?

For me it is like kicking a man when he is down, and despicable as such."

I fully agree with you Soongmak. And since the personal information posted does not improve the threads or is anything else than personal attacks, it does not belong here IMO.

Cheers!

Now, we cannot name a BG, but we can name her bar. Therefore, we should not be allowed to name a Board Member, but should be allowed to name his place of employment.

And I still want to steal Blackie's mobile.

soongmak said:

This point in the previous thread was not answered, but it still deserved one : because those BGs are not here to defend themselves if gossipped upon, boardmembers can defend themselves.

True, but does that mean you can give out all info regarding a person just because they can defend themselves? How about my hypothetical example, do you think it would be nice to expose a board members' vulnerability like this?

For me it is like kicking a man when he is down, and despicable as such.

Cheers,

soongmak

soongmak,

True to a point, for in case of Blackie, mind you, I have not seen any post from him saying those allegations were unfounded..... still not saying we should have the opportunity to point fingers to members and accuse them of whatever....

In the case at hand, Blackie was making strong statements about himself, others refuted this, where is really the problem.

He brought it a bit to himself here, would you not say ?

Still not saying it is ok to do so, but I understand the reasons perfectly.

Remember Akarr ? same situation......

JMHO

Cheers !

>>>>>>Now, we cannot name a BG, but we can name her bar. Therefore, we should not be allowed to name a Board Member, but should be allowed to name his place of employment.<<<<<

Not if she was a board member here. Our rules state that you cannot identify a b/g. Simple. You have an experience with girl "X" in bar "Z", she is not identified. You can post.

Devulge where a member works here, makes him not so unidentifiable. Why? Because B/G does not post here. If she did, we would probably be able to gleen enough info to find out who she was. Your mixing apples with oranges here. The whole premise is to protect identities. On all sides.

Why do you think all of us have made-up names here? And not use our real names as our nicks?

HT

Archived