Privacy Issues

khunsanuk

Hi,

Some very good points being tossed back and forth, and things are not becoming any easier for me as I can see validity in both sides.

Obviously it goes without saying that any facts / info (name, place of work, address, wife's name, etc) should be totally off-limits and posting any of these should (and will!) result in deletion of the post and banning of the poster.

How to deal with post on behaviour though is what we need to establish. Would it be acceptable to say that posting about a person's behaviour (in a negative light) is not allowed unless said person has used his behaviour as part of his arguments?

What I am getting at is that it would not be okay to just reply to someone that they are full of shit as you have seen them do this or that. But if the poster first claims that he would never do / did certain things and bases his case upon this assumption, then it would be okay to counter this (while of course not revealing any facts / info as defined earlier).

Thoughts?

Sanuk!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I used to look at a site composed by "the Joker". I still find links on google to it but it is dead. Was his site shut down due to privacy concerns?"

As far as I know Joker pulled it himself as he got concerned about people knowing who he was.

So, it was not shut down, he closed it himself.

Sanuk!

>>>Hopefully, he is off the board now and he leaves it to the anti-sex coalition (Stickman, TTM, FlyOnzeWall etc.). <<<

as i haven't posted at all in that thread i wonder why i am brought in. just for your information - just because i am not running around with an all time hard on here in bangers doesn't mean that i am "anti sex". it may come as a surprise to many - but even though my advanced age i still do have sex at times. :shhh:

but most of the time i just have other things going on in my life than getting me willy wet.

and concerning the privacy violation - common sense, please. personal problems stemming from real life incidents should be carried out in real life - not on a public board. regarding the blacky thread - it is really none of my business if blacky owes some people money or not. i try to base my criticism on people here on what they divulge on the board, not what i know about them from real life. i could write novels on what i know on some people's undivulged real life, and i am sure some could do the same about me. everyone has his own little hypocracies, there is no need to indulge into them in public.

obviously things at times go out of hand, and there we need some impartial moderators to step in. we are all just people. if though dealing those sort of personal affairs in the semipublicity of the board become policy i would see no point in staying member of such a board. and if even after my leaving those sort of attacks would prevail i would take measures in real life to protect me from such potentially harmful gossip.

such a semipublic message board is there to have fun, discuss, debate, argue, but not to carry out feuds stemming from real life. those ones should stay there.

Soongmak, I Totally agree with you, If you look through my 400 odd posts over the last 4 years or so, you won?t find a single instance, where I have attacked anyone on a personal basis.

Please indulge me while I explain.

Over the last 30 odd years I have helped many people out, (financially and in other ways) even a the odd tart has been the beneficiary of aloan if when its been deserved. Only in one other case when an ex employee stole a large amount of money off me has my judgment been off the mark (this guy particular guy has had breathing difficulties for sometime now).

So am I quite happy doing this for people and helping them into a better situation or out of a bad one. Normally they are grateful and do what they can to repay me. (One poor girl is still serving penance as my Mia Noi after she finishes in her hairdressing shop). I do it because I enjoy helping people, I get a kick out of it, makes me feel good and I?m a probably nice guy (Hitler probably viewed himself in the same light). BUT when some one who I trust and help, just shits on me, My niceness disappears, anger, vengeance and my spite know NO bounds, in other words I am not a ?turn the other cheek sort of guy). Therefore when I see a post from some who I know well, slagging off a bunch of girls who I never have had a problem with all and ceratianly have never stoleen 1 Baht from me, all I see is HIPPOCRYTE and the overwhelming desire to show it as it is.

>>>BUT when some one who I trust and help, just shits on me, My niceness disappears, anger, vengeance and my spite know NO bounds, in other words I am not a “turn the other cheek sort of guy). <<<

i am somewhat similar, but then, if it is serious enough i deal with it in real life, not in virtual reality.

in terms of helping, yeah, i do enjoy helping people, but to protect myself i do not lend out more money than i could afford to lose. at times it happens that i get burned, and so i can simply put it away without having to resort to means i really don't want to.

difficult thing, i understand you, maybe would have done a similar post if i would have been in your situation. but i would then also hope for, or understand an impartial moddy to tell me to keep it in private, and delete my post.

My position remains that if you choose to reveal your board identity in "real" life you must be prepared to pay the consequences. These can range from a revelation like what happened to Blackie to someone passing information you may have made on the board to your wife or employer.

In the first case, board rules may help, at least after the fact when a mod edits or deletes the post, in the latter; a board rule doesn't mean shit.

I am still not sure how the revelations about Blackie violated his privacy. They gave no clue as to his identity; but they did give clues as to his real personality, which is not an invasion of privacy, at least in my opinion.

TH

Hi,

"Why? Because in my estimation it fell through the cracks."

Not entirely true in this case, I have to admit.

I did read the post, and was made aware of it by an email as well, but decided not to act. Right or wrong, I do not know.

At least it got us talking about this, rather sensitive & complicated, issue, which I think is a good thing.

Sanuk!

>>>My position remains that if you choose to reveal your board identity in "real" life you must be prepared to pay the consequences. These can range from a revelation like what happened to Blackie to someone passing information you may have made on the board to your wife or employer.<<<

that is not really an argument. sometimes people make a mistake and reveal your handle to others you would not have revealed it yourselves (happened to me a few times).

and, consequences...part of the consequences can be that if one reveals information to someone that a person may hit back in real life to protect himself. i am sure that i would if my level of tolerance is overstepped significantly (and i have the means, and i know others here on the boards who could/would do much worse things than i would consider).

to avoid such trouble we need moderators to keep such indiscretions in check.

to avoid such trouble we need moderators to keep such indiscretions in check

we try FlyW ... we really do, but regardless of our actions or inactions, the ultimate responsibility must lie with the members in question.

As KS and others have said there were no board rules broken here, only unspoken agreements IMO. By the same token IMO anyone who takes "the personal moral high ground" needs to be prepared to defend his 'personal' actions. This is just my opinion and that is why we are having this discussion to determine if the there should be a board 'rule' or should we continue to let Mods infer their own judgement in these matters.

"to avoid such trouble we need moderators to keep such indiscretions in check. "

I'm sorry, but you will have to explain what control moderators have over "real" life to keep somebody from calling my employer and telling them I have on occasions partaken of the p4p in Thailand (or any other country)? Being barred from the board with that ID? Big deal. That doesn't get my job back. At that point, the only thing I can resort to is revenge, not self-protection.

My point is, no board rule is going to protect you and nor is any threat of violence is going to protect you if somebody knows who you are and decides to assassinate your character, either on the board or particularly in real life.

This is a great discussion, but I don't think we need any changes in the board rules. :beer:

TH

Archived