Privacy Issues

khunsanuk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"As a long term lurker recently turned poster I want to say that posts like the one quoted make this board seem a scary place......but I remember hardly any board discussion of these 'nasties' several posters have referred to in this thread.....is this censorship self or otherwise? Are these things coducted/resolved through PMs?......starting to wonder if I should go back to lurk mode...."

Mainly it is self-censorship, as I think the majority of posters here know that I will not allow flaming and such, and will ban people for it (regardless of number of posts or 'standing' on the board).

I do think that the PMs help a lot as well, and while I cannot know for certain (I can not read other peoples PMs, nor should I be allowed to) I do think that a lot of issues are resolved in 'person' by the use of PMs. Something which says a lot about the maturity of posters here :up:

Sanuk!

Hi,

"Again, a fine line, but one that KS will have address on a case-by-case basis.'

Yes, this is pretty much how I am beginning to see it as well. It is becoming obvious from this discussion that a strict 'black in white' rule can never be reached.

It will therefore be up to me, and the other mods, to decide. Kinda like it is with a lot of other issues. And that in turn makes it that people can / should decide for themselves if they can life with our decisions on this board or not.

Sanuk!

Isn?t the fact that the Theft thread degenerated into a Salem witch trial sufficient proof that privacy needs to be respected. Some board members threatening to leave etc. Aren?t we all here for sanuk, or do we get our sanuk from putting the boot in.

I agree with Soongmak: don?t post negative stuff about people?s private lives? period. Sort it out in private, not publicly using the board as a tool. We know the difference between flame and light hearted Mickey taking.

How would YOU all feel about your dirty washing being hung out to dry on a public board. Think about it. We?ve all got skeletons in our closets. Fuck me? I think that?s what they call mixed metaphors!

Chances are I?ll never get to a Bangkok Friday meeting ? too many tilac cry too mutt I leave Pattaya for one night even, and it?s a well known fact that you fall off the edge of the planet just north of the Dolphin roundabout 2nd Road. :: But even I would recognize Blackie if he hobbled into a members? meeting and I struck up a conversation with him, but I still can?t figure out the identity of the dancer at Peppermint whose BBBJs make steam shoot out of your ears? I?ll continue my research though! :hubba:

:beer:

I know exactly three people on this board, they know who they are. I will never willingly expose personal information about them. I did by mistake once and he, with his status, corrected it and nothing need even be said... I realized it as a mistake of mine and made an effort not to make it again. As far as perosnal relationships go you are NOT to ever expose information about someone on this board that you know. Let THAT person tell their personal information. Even if the two of you have argued off of the board, you should treat that person ON the board as a complete stranger or at worst let it be known that you are friends but keep the personal information away from your posts. That is WRONG to take it upon yourself to do. That way, you never put anything out there that someone themselves may have felt ok to say to you in private but you misinterpreted as something that they were totaly comfortable with speaking about in public. You, as that persons friend or even PM contact, HAVE to exersice caution in those situations...

Oneye

What I am getting at is that it would not be okay to just reply to someone that they are full of shit as you have seen them do this or that. But if the poster first claims that he would never do / did certain things and bases his case upon this assumption, then it would be okay to counter this (while of course not revealing any facts / info as defined earlier).

Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. Pure and simple.

IMHO no need to implement a new protective rule for a lying SOAB.

Thanks for the reply......Remarkable that the board has existed as long as it has without the 'nasties' getting out in the open at least to the great degree they appear to have done so with the THEFT thread

I also think that on the Political Correctness axis a privacy rule might just be another nail in the coffin

There is already quite a lot of protection/recourse for the victim already

1 dont post

2 post but dont post personal stuff

3 dont pontificate and posture

4 be truthful

5 PM a mod asking for a post to be deleted

6 change your board name

7 leave the board

Archived