Privacy Issues

khunsanuk

flyonzewall said:

such a semipublic message board is there to have fun, discuss, debate, argue, but not to carry out feuds stemming from real life. those ones should stay there.

Hi fly,

I agree.

If there has to be a new rule, it should be kept simple. Baht Man gives a good example of legalistic prose style that needs to be read carefully three or four times before anyone can begin to understand what it means - let's avoid that.

I would suggest two simple rules - no information that could help identify a poster and no comments about actions of a poster that shows him in a negative light. As you say, keep it fun.

Some will say this is hypocritical, but I think it is justified. If I say "I know Blackie and he is a good guy" this does no harm to Blackie and others may believe me or not. If I say "Blackie is a good guy - I once saw him rescue a girl who was handcuffed to a Pole", this is the same even though a specific incident is mentioned.

If I make negative comments about Blackie, this is potentially damaging. Some have said that comments should be substantiated, but the whole point is that that is not possible. This is not a court of law where evidence can be presented. How could it ever be possible on this board to prove that my negative comment about Blackie was indeed true and backed by other credible witnesses? That is the reason why, imho, negative comments about other posters should be barred.

Khwai

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"part of the consequences can be that if one reveals information to someone that a person may hit back in real life to protect himself. i am sure that i would if my level of tolerance is overstepped significantly (and i have the means, and i know others here on the boards who could/would do much worse things than i would consider)."

As a long term lurker recently turned poster I want to say that posts like the one quoted make this board seem a scary place......but I remember hardly any board discussion of these 'nasties' several posters have referred to in this thread.....is this censorship self or otherwise? Are these things coducted/resolved through PMs?......starting to wonder if I should go back to lurk mode....

>>>As KS and others have said there were no board rules broken here, only unspoken agreements IMO. <<<

you can't have rules for everything. asking for common sense should be in this case enough.

>>>By the same token IMO anyone who takes "the personal moral high ground" needs to be prepared to defend his 'personal' actions. <<<

yeah, but it is a potshot below the belt to use private information one might have about someone to do so in the publicity of the board. the question is not if someone "deserves" it in the opinion of the poster, but that it does set precedents which cross, or come too close to a certain line which can destroy a whole board.

where is the limit then. here one has a problem now with a guy who complains about thieves, but has not the best credit rating. no real harm done other than someone being embarrassed and humiliated (never a nice thing).

how far will the next private problem being carried out on the board go?

when does character assasination start then?

nah, i believe that real life problems of members should stay there, and not be discussed in the publicity of the board. there is something called private sphere. and as i personally do not know blacky, as far as i know, it is none of my business to get told about his private existence what he does not divulge himself.

and i do not need to be warned about his possible credit trustworthyness, i have enough knowledge about people to see those things myself if the need should arise. and if not, than maybe i need some lesson to learn such understanding about humans.

those things are not the job of such a board, cannot be.

i do believe that there was a line crossed which should not have been crossed, which, if not kept in check, might lead to a slow process of degration of this board here.

>>>This is a great discussion, but I don't think we need any changes in the board rules<<<

no need for another rule, IMHO. just for some sort of gentleman's agreement.

one might not like each other, disagree with each other, despise each other, but still board life and real life should stay separate. i some people want to feud using real life information than they should do that wherever, but not poison the board with it. i really do not want to know about the dirty laundry of people.

FlyW........ while I agree with your post in general, I also believe that the line is crossed 'anytime' by 'anyone' who presume a righteous stand.The 'he who has not sinned, cast the first stone' precept.

IMO, once that stone is cast, the poster should be prepared to accept return fire. So perhaps this is also a lesson to all of us not to 'pontificate' if we can't or won't defend our positions.

Of course you have no such problems :: as I have seen you take on entire rock chucking armies :bow:

>>>As a long term lurker recently turned poster I want to say that posts like the one quoted make this board seem a scary place......<<<

well, there were some incidents which went way out of hand, not much though on this board here. the nice thing of the moderation here is that generally things are kept in check rather well without making the board completely boring.

"i some people want to feud using real life information than they should do that wherever, but not poison the board with it. "

It's a fine line, but in the current case, I don't think FB was continuing a feud. In the context of the thread, in which the OP had stated many times, that people were not allowed to make comments on his character because they didn't know him, FB felt (justifiably so IMHO) that since he DID know the poster he was in a position to call his moral stance extremely hypocritical and backed it up to avoid it looking like a mindless flame.

Again, a fine line, but one that KS will have address on a case-by-case basis. And in this case, I agree with his decision.

I also think it says a lot about KS that he opened this thread to allow the members to discuss it.

But, please, no new rule(s) for the mods to try and enforce.

TH

very true - a fine line.

i also agree that FB's post was not beyond the line mainly because he chose his tone well, left space for a honorable retreat by blacky.

but the other poster, inexperienced in the board here did IMHO cross the line. somehow one thing led to the other, and if not stopped could have ended in some serious character assasination.

>>>But, please, no new rule(s) for the mods to try and enforce.<<<

i fully agree with that.

Archived