How do people feel about China Airlines?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I am talking specifically about pilot ability and not aircraft safety records..."

Seems to me that the airline safety record is the one true metric that identifies whether or not the staff and training programs are up to snuff. It is certainly not luck!

If you disagree, just what is your metric for the sweeping generalization that you made? Are you a multi-engine commercial airliner pilot? Have you trained them? Have you witnessed them doing anything to deserve that critique (assuming that you can ID said faux paux)? Inquiring minds want to know!

If a pilot flies to the States (and prolly EU countries have similar regs) then they have to pass the US FAA training programs as well as the airplanes must meet US FAA safety regs.

Cheers,

SD

PS: I read your bit about leaving the cockpit door open. Does not bother me as one has to believe that others (i.e. security guys) do their job as intended. An immediate threat (e.g., an unruly passenger) is far more important to handle IMHO than worrying about a hypothetical threat with miniscule odds (e.g., hijackers flying about aimlessly, waiting for a pilot to leave the door open) .

PPS: Ya, I am getting pissed in the Melbourne Quantas Club and mean no disrespect :D.

Forget food, forget cute or not so cute cabin attendants, forget frequent flyer miles and forget price. What you need is the highest possible chance of getting there in one piece and you do that by flying in the newest planes with carriers who would lose a whole lot more than a dodgy old aeroplane if it failed to get to the other end.

See www.airsafe.com for details

On the Ryanair subject, I saw an interview with Stelios, the guy who started Easyjet. He said that the reason he went for brand new planes as opposed to Ryanair's choice of cheap old rustbuckets was that the whole business model would fail if just one of them hit the deck. Credibility in the new world of low cost airlines would be wiped out immediately if there was an accident in the early years of operation.

When looking at the total cost of say a 2 week trip to LOS, an extra hundred pounds or so for a "better" airline, flying direct, seems a very small price to pay.

United Airlines wants me to switch from China Airlines to them. Has anybody had any experience in doing this? Will they offer me all the perks China Airlines offers me?

As for the long stay over in Taipei, I use this time to take a free shower, use the free massage chair, eat, drink and watch TV. Time seems to past by fast while in Tapei.

As for service, going to their office in Bangkok sucks.

Go to the airport. The girls there will bend over backwards to serve you. If they ask why you did not call, just say can not get through. They understand.

With China Airlines, I have bought tickets 2 days before departure and they still give me the discount price and good seats.

They had a special this year regarding frequent flier miles. I took advantage of it and got 2 free round trip tickets from LKAX to BKK - first class. I checked what hey want for these tickets and the price is generally 350,000 baht or 700,000 for 2 tickets.

::

What do mean "United Airlines wants me to switch from China Airlines" how did they know who you were flying with? Did they 'make you and offer to switch'? If so what was it.? BTW, all the airlines want you to 'switch and fly with them. ::

Will they offer me all the perks China Airlines offers me?

What did they 'offer' you'? ::

They had a special this year regarding frequent flier miles. I took advantage of it and got 2 free round trip tickets from LKAX to BKK - first class. I checked what hey want for these tickets and the price is generally 350,000 baht or 700,000 for 2 tickets.

Must have been a hell of a special to get 2 First class returns. Should let your fellow board members in on these 'deals'. Details please.

HIGH THAIED said:

They're ok. No real complaints. The only reason I avoid them is because of the lay-over in Taiwan. I hate that airport. But have still used them 3 times now, due to lowest rates, and availibility of seats. Another downside is getting into BKK at 1:00am.

HT

HT,

For us Hawaii guys anyway China Air does have something no one else has - on THURs and SUNs they have flights from Hono to Bangkok where you arrive at 4:00 PM!!! On my last trip I took that flight and besides getting to LOS at such a reasonable hour the overall 'travel time' was the fastest ever - only a 1 hour layover in Taipei. On that flight on THUR and SUN they also use their brand new A340 airbus (between Hono and Taipei), really nice and smooth.

Recently returned from a trip to San Diego and quite a contrast on American carriers vice Asian carriers: had to pay $5.00 just to "rent" their headphones during the flight, drinks were $5.00 each and out of the stewardesses I saw weren't none I'd want to bar fine...

I liked China coz it was cheap. My only real complaint is that I thought they were kind of stingy with the food. Pouring me a half a glass or orange juice in a dixie cup is a joke. I remember I took a late flight and when the children were waking up hungry, the parents were like almost begging for the flight attendents to bring them some juice for the hungry kids. On my trip home, I made sure I filled up at good 'ol Burger King before getting on the plane. My advice for China Airlines is to BYOF.....this means BRING YOUR OWN FOOD! :cussing:

Hopefully China Airlines will get a better safety record in the future.

Rug

I to don't mind CA. I've flown 5 or so times on it when either in Hawaii or LAX. Other then that it's United 875 out of Denver. Dynasty class is the only way to go on CA. Alot more room, staff, care,food, movies, etc...

SB

I would fly CI if UA did not have me by the balls with the FF perks. I simply hate the flight times to BKK on UA. CI has the cheapest fares out of LAX and BKK and i like their schedule. I understand that all of the transpac flights to the US are on new planes and as far as I know they have not lost one yet on that route.

I think it was about 2 years ago, I left Tapei for Bangkok on China Airlines. When I arrived, I listened to the news. After my flight left Tapei, another flight left and exploded. At first some believed it was a missile. About 1 year or longer, the investigation found out that Boeing had upgraded the plane but used inferior parts. The parts failed causing the plane to explode - killing everybody on board.

When I fly, part of my trip is generally on United. They see my China Airlines tickets and always note they will match their prices. I am given excellent service with China Airlines - something I do not think everybody gets, but the service I get with United is not that good. United has a tendency to damage my luggage and I have a hard time getting any compensation from them. China Airlines has never compensated me for damaged luggage but has always repaired it. I have hard shell suitcases. When they are returned, I can not tell where they were damaged. They send somebody to my place to pick up the suitcase(s) and return them after one week. United, if they repair it, will not pick up and deliver - I must do it myself.

What I would like to know is if United really can provide equal or better treatment?

Archived