English teacher. Arrest. Drugs. Chiang Mai

carew66

I'm not into cut and paste oddyseys, and I rarely follow links that people provide, so here's half of a report from that esteemed organ: The Lancashire Evening Telegraph.

A BLACKBURN man arrested in Thailand for drug offences spent his first night in jail in a hellish cramped cell with 63 other prisoners, it was revealed today.

Christopher Egan, 34, who formerly lived with his family in Blackburn, was arrested in the city of Chiang Mai on suspicion of narcotics offences two weeks ago.

He had been jailed after being caught with eight ecstasy tablets on the day he was due to return to East Lancashire after seven years in Thailand.

The former pupil at Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, Blackburn, had been working as an English teacher in the city, close to Thailand's border with Burma.

His father Tony Egan, 62, saw his son in Chiang Mai Central Prison for the first time on Monday.

On seeing his father, Christopher broke down in floods of tears. Mr Egan said after his arrest, Christopher spent the night in a 15ft by 8ft cell with 63 other prisoners. There was only enough room to stand.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad case, some people just don't get it, getting caught is what other people do, not me, I am smarter than that.

Now he's in a heap of shit, too bad, but if you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Strangely, Bhat Man - the only reason I picked up on it was 'cos it was a QEGS boy that got nicked. As a fellow member of a discredited educational system (yeah, I passed but had to go to school with the mongs) I have to agree; Comp kidz rool.

Well, Tony and Gordon didn't go to one - but we still 'rule'. Oh, and Theras and Clare didn't - but we rool. Er, and Peter and Ian didn't go to a Comp - but we still rool...

"Meet the old boss - same as the old boss"

Sad case, some people just don't get it

----------------------------------------

Maybe, but sometimes there is a little more the story. Maybe he was also running on an expired visa, or maybe he was set up a bit.

Strange someone would carry extasy the day he goes back to England.

can be as well:

some people don't get it: TIT can screw you real bad if it wants it. Ain't home here, even if it feels like it....

Compassion is a compelling virtue.

While I do not take extasy or any drugs except beer and wine what this fellow is most likely currently going through would see, to be IMHO opinion unquestionalby dis proportionate over having a few party pills.Maybe he was dealing maybe not.

Yea he is a dumb shit but Thai jails are simply horrid. :dunno:

Best to stay clean

I have no compasion whatsoever then. This fella must be a woodpecker without a beek. It states in the post that he has been in Thailand for 7 years. After 7 years I would have thought he would have picked up on the laws of Thailand regarding possesion/dealing with drugs.

I also point out that I refer in my post to "If " this chap is guilty. That clearly indicates my so called compasion if he has, infact, been set up (which I doubt) or there has been a wrongful arrest.

Sorry but take drugs or deal drugs in Thailand and your asking for it. Lock him up in the Hilton thats what I say but then I was all for corpral punishment at school ..... Must be the comprehensive eduation that relieves me of compassion when people get caught with drugs :: :beer:

Bhat_Man said:

Have no sympathy for him whatsoever if he is guilty :nono:and what the F*** does it matter which bloody grammar school he went to.... COMP KIDS RULE!

Interesting. Would you have equally little sympathy for an Englishman caught with a pack of beer in Saudi?

Paillote

I thought we were talking about drugs not beer :cover:

I know very little about Saudi Law but if it is the case that you get banged up for carrying beer then so be it. Laws are there to be adhered to by everyone who sets foot in a particular country. Break them and then you pay for your consequences. Simple really.

Furthermore, I couldnt give a t'pennydam whether the "vilolator" is English or any other nationality. Laws apply to everyone...break them at ones own risk!

Is there any particular reason that you sight the English in your example or am I just assuming far too much... please detect an element of sarcasm in this last sentence pleeeeeeeeease :cover::) but it does appear to be rather pointed! :beer:

Archived