English teacher. Arrest. Drugs. Chiang Mai

carew66

spirit_of_town_hall said:

We shouldnt gloat about our fellow humans experiencing such out of proportion rough justice.

Hi sth,

I don't detect gloating. Seems to me what a lot of people are saying is that the guy was stupid to take the risk, not that he deserves to be in a Thai jail.

The point is that, whatever we think, drugs are illegal, penalties are severe and Thai jails are not nice places to be. Anybody who risks jail is stupid. I agree we should feel compassion for sombody with so little sense - if indeed he is guilty.

Khwai

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Churchill, Churchill, why's everyone going on about Churchill?

::

"I tell you one thing Hitler was a better dancer than Churchill."

:)

A packet of prawn cocktail crisps and half a pint of lager to whoever knows who said it and in what context. And no, it wasn't Mr Haider or whatever that right wing guy's name is.

Not responding to anyone in particular. I guess it should not bee too surprising to see so many people react "If guilty, he deserves it". After all, that is the kind of people it took to come up with and pass laws that say if someone does something that is of no harm to themselves or others falls in a certain bucket, they deserves whatever the penalty may be, even if that means destroying their life or killing them. Such laws seem to be getting only more common and global.

The freedom to do new things is gone. Can you just imagine if smoking and alcohol were invented this year the penalties? A guy caught with a case of beer would get the death penalty as anyone with more than 2 beers at a time must surely be a dealer. I guy caught lighting a cigarette at his home would be put in the slammer for 25 years hard time and probably die before getting out. Yes, even things like circumcision, tattoos, and piercing would be classified as cult-like mutilation and quickly banned world wide. But the fact is, we are lucky our ancestors did do certain things because they have been grandfathered in and make a mockery of the new laws.

I doubt anyone here really wishes bad things to happen to this guy, or any other. Sure, they were stupid for mis-judging both the intelligence of the police, and the subsequent consequenses, if caught. They threw caution to the wind, and lost. A very stupid mistake, on their part.

But the punishment should also fit the crime. And that also has many enraged. In one place in this world, you can kill someone, and expect a much lighter sentence than in another different part of world, from someone who simply pulls some plant material from the earth to smoke, for the only purpose to enjoy himself in solitude, without hurting a fly.

Where is the justice? The justice depends on what plot of ground we happen to be standing on, when the offence is commited.

That is a hard concept to shove down anyone's throat, but it's real, and does exists, good or not. We are not yet, a Global Village. And it's going to be a long time before we get there (not that is a good thing, but it will happen eventually). So in the interim, we will just have to accept that "when in Rome, do as the Roman's".

We all know what the rules are in our own back yard, because we can make them. Wanna play outside of our own backyard? That's fine. But understand it is no longer you making the rules anymore.

In the US, anyway, you are king of your castle. But drop the drawbridge, and venture into the outside world, and you are no longer the master. You become the subject. Subjected to who is ever in control of the plot of land you may be standing on, and subject to whatever rules he deems fair.

Wanna venture on to his land? Better be ready to accept the conditions of doing so.

Would you ask any less, in accepting him to play in your backyard?

HT

lazyphil said:

And as for visiting falang cons in Bang Kwang, well why not go visit a orphanage for Thai kids or similar?

What a brilliant idea Phil. Was it you who did this a while back? I know someone did (could have been a few years ago now.) Some details would be great. How would a farang be greeted in a Thai orphanage? Maybe in a new thread.

Archived