5000 Hmong from LOS headed to California

OCgringo

on a local show called California Connected http://californiaconnected.org/archives.html

there was a report that 5000 were coming from a refugee center in Thailand in June.

Hmong Refugees: American Woman

May Ying Ly came to America when she was just 8, a refugee from war-torn South-East Asia. Ly is Hmong, an ethnic hill people who were recruited by the CIA to fight communists in Laos during the Vietnam War. Her Hmong Women's Heritage Association provides psychotherapy, health, education, housing assistance, and an array of other services to Sacramento's Hmong, with a special focus on women. Now Sacramento is bracing for the arrival of as many as 5,000 Hmong refugees from Thailand and this remarkable woman is doing all she can to see that the new arrivals get the help they'll need to make the most of life in America.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I think this is a good thing because at least one nation on this planet is giving them a future. This time it is the US :applause: and before it was France. I feel sorry for them, since they are state less. For Thailand they are not even able to sent their kids to a goverment school. They also do not have ID's nor a Citizenship of any of the Golden Triangle countries. Of course, the culture shock will be enormous for them, but then they might have a chance to educate their children and get out of poverty. This is my personal opinion, ok? Cheers

HI

Here where I live we also have a good size Hmong population. The family across the street from me is Hmong. They are very nice people they cook us some real good food sometimes. I wish these people luck as the Hmong people I have met are very respectable and hard working.

>>>To be honest, I think this is a good thing because at least one nation on this planet is giving them a future. This time it is the US and before it was France. <<<

after having them used as an army against the vietnamese, caused hundreds of thousands of casualties under the hmong, it is only their responsibility, not cause for applause.

also, may i remind you of the ghost soldier issue, about a decade ago, where some of those soldiers sent into a suicide mission unde CIA payroll long declared dead appeared again from the vietnamese prisons and were not accepted by the US due to the US having to pay full backpay for all those years.

Archived