5000 Hmong from LOS headed to California

OCgringo

All sorts of conspiracy theories have grown up about the Vietnam war and its aftermath. No doubt lots of them are cobblers but there are grains of truth in some of them. Was it Newsweek did an expose about the alleged bombing of Chavanne in Laos during the war? This was supposedly a village where GIs who had had enough and just walked away apparently gravitated to. The story was that special forces using Sarin nerve gas took it out.

The Sunday Times, UK, did an expose about 5 or 6 years ago about a former green beret who left a deathbed confession that he and his colleagues had been recruiting the hill tribes to fight the communists. One tactic that they used was, according to him, to help the villagers build a school and recruit teachers from Saigon. Then they later killed them all and made it look like the commies had killed the kids and chalkies. The Montagnards thereafter were avowed anti-communists.

One of the supposed stories about Anthony Poshepny was that he disappeared after the war and later emerged in Udon Thani in 1991 where he used to swagger around wearing a pair of pearl handled revolvers in a holster. Little bit of embellishment there methinks.

The Vietnamese government were certainly convinced, and had some evidence, that there was a plot emanating from the US to destabilise the country. The Revolutionary War Crimes Museum in Hoville had a display in the late '90's, concerning their interception of a trawler carrying arms to VN in the late '80's. The sponsors were apparently overseas Viets in CA. Probably nothing to do with the CIA then. :o

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was never a documented instance of a soldier being spat on when returning home from Vietnam

--------------------------------

So what? The feeling is probabaly worse when it feels parts of your country/community/family is "spitting" in thought, not in deed.

I always understood and heard the vets speak of it like that.

"...One of the supposed stories about Anthony Poshepny was that he disappeared after the war and later emerged in Udon Thani in 1991 where he used to swagger around wearing a pair of pearl handled revolvers in a holster. Little bit of embellishment there methinks..."

I can pretty much say that is not true. A lot of myths about him, and the like, met him a few times, and he was an o.k. guy, hard to believe he is/was what they say...but non the less, he was! Sort of sad when you think about it, all those guys, and the Air America guys legends we will really never know. Guys like that are almost an extinct breed, guys who would put it all on the line for what they believe in. Some what embarrassed to say, I feel very humble in their company...

I think at the end, they were just guys chewed by the wheel of history and misplaced views of one's country in the world.

No mistakes, they are fascinating and mavericks but belong to the past and their stories too. This is what makes them fascinating, like desperados. Not exactly For a few more dollars" but.... for a few more free Hmongs!

Whatever they did had no consequence 10 years after, as the idea was not to have 30 000 hmongs find refuge in the USA.

I am sure they know the real difference they made in their life is for that kid they adopted or that family they sponsored. No small thing, but no History either.....

Politically Incorrect 2 Cents

At what point does America, and CA in particular, get too crowded? Of course it's wonderful to give people from poor countries opportunities in the West. Of course we all want everyone on the planet to live better, healthier lives. But how far can the pie be cut up? At what point will America, Britain, Canada, and Australia be anything like what they once were?

Again, I want the whole world to be better off; to have a better lot in life. How big is the lifeboat called America, however? As for CA, it's already overcrowded, overpolluted, and the state gov't is about bankrupt. If you don't believe me, just ask any of the millions of Californians who have left the state for AZ, OR, WA, Alaska, Nevada, and even LoS!

Again, just some thoughts. Now here comes the flames...

Well 5000 more when California has 35 million is not that big a deal.

I do hope that since the Federal goverment is bringing the Hmong here that they will support them till they get going,

Not sure how it went when the Vietnamese came over after the war as refugees.

I mention it because it is always taken as fact that army veterans were being literally spat on endlessly as they disembarked from the plane. Just FYI.

Archived