5000 Hmong from LOS headed to California

OCgringo

that was the statement in which context i made my statement about:

>>>Anyway, while you seem to believe that the U.S. has some kind of obligation to the adult kids and grand kids of some former allies, I don't. <<<

not that i have much love for any of those tony poes or ravens or whatever, at least i do respect them for having stood up for their own convictions (even though i see them as wrong). and yes, they do generally have loyality towards the people they have fought with, a loyality their government does not necessarily share.

dunno, but the way how i know those soldiers is that whatever side they fought for loyality is one of their main personal traits. but how do you expect the same from the sorts who make up the governments, the sorts who let other do the fighting and the dirty work?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ACtually, Tony Poe and others did a lot for Hmong refugees. I do know one Air America guy who sponsored 13 Lao refugees at his home in Florida. A good book to read is "Hard Men Humbled: Vietnam Vets who didn't go home" I know a few of these guys personnally, and can tell you that they did/do help who they can. Some have adopted Hmong/Lao/Viet/Etc kids as well...

As for the USA turning it's back on those who helped us, I will point out the situation with the Filipinos born before 1948. All were supposedly allowed US citezenship, especially those who fought with the Allies in WWII. I can tell you from what the ex's father went through trying to get here, We fell far short of our promise. Also keep in mind, these guys (Hmong) really have no life and may not be safe at home, thus the importance of getting them out. Further, if we promise something, we must deliver, or we won't get others to help later...

>>>Also keep in mind, these guys (Hmong) really have no life and may not be safe at home, <<<

the understatement of the decade ;)

i'll look out for the book. thanx.

"Actually, Tony Poe and others did a lot for Hmong refugees."

Yes he did. He was still considered their leader even after the war, after he has declared PNG here in LoS and even back in San Fran. I knew him and as Fly said, respected him even tho' I did not believe in the cause for which he was fighting. Trust me, you would not have spoken ill of Hmong in front of him as you would not want to piss him off. He was the scariest man I ever met, even when he was in his 70s.

"if we promise something, we must deliver, or we won't get others to help later..."

Oh we have a thoroughly pathetic record of doing that, especially if those to whom we made that promise cannot do anything for us! Flips, Hmong, Kurds, Shi'as, etc. Still the fools help us out. Dunno why.

Cheers,

SD

The funny bit was that the old spook would still get into the country. I guess you can take the guy outta the job...

I spent a few afternoons at the Madrid listening to him & Jack get into it. What a weird relationship/friendship that was!

Somewhere around here I have an autographed copy of the Maxim magazine that had the article about Tony calling him ""the CIA's most deadly assassin" or something like that. We took the piss outta him for that article, but he quite liked it.

Cheers,

SD

Filipino veterans of the Korean War were also welcomed to the US. My ex's dad was allowed in and he still lives in CA. He has a better life on a veteran's pension in his view in the US. Dunno whether he gets a better rate of pension for living in the states.

Some of the FilAm units really got the shitty end of the stick during the second world war. I suppose many would say and why not, it was after all their own homeland. Haven't got my history books handy and can't recall how long the PI was treated the same as being a US state. Or indeed whether that was the turn of the century or later. Had a look at a place called Bacsil Ridge up in La Union Province while I was over there a few months back. The Japanese were dug in on a jungle covered ridge with artillery trained on the harbour at San Fernando, where the old Wallace USAF base was located. There's a little memorial at the top to the guys who died taking the ridge. Bit of a hike getting up there. Must have been hell under fire.

Western Governments turning their backs on third world peoples is nothing new unfortunately. One example of perfidious Albion springs immediately to mind i.e. the plight of the Karen minority in Burma/Myanmar.

Archived