How do you define yourself?

Brink15

For years, with long time GF, I didn't feel like a tourist. As said above, more like a future expat. Now, with no GF, I spend time in the bars as well as looking outside them for a future ex-gf and seeing new sights and places to retire.. SO I am tourist/sextourist/future expat/ hunter/hunted.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brink, my image of an expat has always been a person sent abroad by his company/government to work for a period of time. (The dictionary doesn't say that though!)

Big house, maid, driver, country club membership, etc.

Funny enough, it seems that the local hire guys in Thailand teaching 20 hours a week for their 20,000 baht a month are the ones who get caught up with the 'us expats, they tourist/sexpat' mentailty. :rolleyes:

Guest lazyphil

Yeah, eventually when finacially everything is in place (a few years from now) I will be an expat, no big rush, plan is to have summers (be them brief!) here and the rest in LOS. I do worry about the Thai gov making it hard for me to stay in LOS for long spells even though I wont be a burden and I do plan on learning Thai, its just getting around to it here ::

rovineye said:

For years, with long time GF, I didn't feel like a tourist. As said above, more like a future expat. Now, with no GF, I spend time in the bars as well as looking outside them for a future ex-gf and seeing new sights and places to retire.. SO I am tourist/sextourist/future expat/ hunter/hunted.

I also belong to this group. ::

I guess I wee mysself as a traveller, rather than a tourist. And this (LOS) has been my travel base for many years now.

"Travellers Welcome" ~ "Tourists Tolerated"

A sign outside one of my former 'investments'. :banghead:

I think the point Fly was trying to make by denying the expat title was he does not feel he belongs to his home country any longer so he does not fit your dictionary definition. The term I use to describe the people, like Fly, that have all but severed any connection to their home country is wannabe immigrants. Since Thailand will not accept them as immigrants they can't really be immigrants.

After all, we call people that move to US from other countries immigrants, not expats, why would the people in Thailand that claim no ties to their home countries be expats?

TH

Who is anyone here to redifine a word that has been in use for 200+ years? Isn't the world complex enough already? Besides, Webster's Dictionary defines expatriate as: 1) to withdraw (oneself) from residence in or alligence to one's native country; 2) to leave one's country to live elsewhere; 3) to renounce allegiance to one's native country; 4) living in a foreign land. Seems pretty clear to me.

Therefore all immigrants are expats, but not all expats are immigrants (as some go back to their native country).

Cheers,

SD

"Therefore all immigrants are expats, but not all expats are immigrants (as some go back to their native country)."

I think that is a good explanation and I couldn't agree more. But why are westerners living in Asia always called "expats" and Asians living in the west are "immigrants"?

TH

Archived