How do you define yourself?

Brink15

>>>The term I use to describe the people, like Fly, that have all but severed any connection to their home country is wannabe immigrants. <<<

i definately am somewhat of a wannabe immigrant. it just ain't that easy to be one. it's a struggle of years.

i have to say though that i have not severed all connections to my country of birth. i do make a point of going there once a year, and regularly take the missus along. you never know what the future might bring, and i believe that one should leave as many options open as possible.

it is though a constant struggle to keep up those ties, if my dad would not be alive anymore i don't know how long i would/could keep up going to a country i do not particularly like that much.

how do i really define myself according to the poll? dunno, beats me.

i was a traveller/backpacker for many years (and yes, occasionally i had an inflated ego ::), but it was great fun to live that lifestyle for a while, and i made some brilliant experiences.

i live here because i like living here in asia, since i was a child it was my aspiration to live somewhere else, preferrably asia (and yes, i still have at times an inflated ego ::).

but yeah, i can live with the term of wannabe immigrant, hopefully i can be a real one some day in the future. not though because i wanna be thai or something. just because i am fascinated by the whole continent, and i feel that even though all the problems here thailand is still the best place to live in asia.

but who knows what the future might bring?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Propaganda? Dontchaknow everyone wants to immigrate to the USA :p Gotta keep up that illusion for the kiddies.

Seriously, I have no idea. Heck, most cannot even spell it. I even remember a US magazine article with big headline of the cover spelling "expatriate" as "expatriot." Boy was that a major flub (due to the obvious implications) and ruffled some feathers LOL! Wish I could remember the mag's name -- it was a major one.

>>>I think that is a good explanation and I couldn't agree more. But why are westerners living in Asia always called "expats" and Asians living in the west are "immigrants"?

TH <<<

good question. ::

maybe because "illegal" is so easily attached with it?

or because the term implies that every asians who stays for a while in the west automatically wants to live there 'coz everybody wants to live in the great west while, how would westerners want to immigrate into a dirty third world country?

Suadum say:

"Webster's Dictionary defines expatriate as: ...2) to leave one's country to live elsewhere..."

I only feel alive in Thailand, does that make me an expatriate? :banghead:

Archived