Refused entry at Bed Niteclub

MisterBlonde

No surprise. Make a reservation at Bed and the explicityly state that all people must carry a Thai ID or passport to enter. They are just following management's rule, as they should.

BTW, I once took my father to a pro football game in Oakland, and he got carded to buy beer (age 73!).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rchapstick said:

BTW, I once took my father to a pro football game in Oakland, and he got carded to buy beer (age 73!).

Nah...cops were just checking to see if there were any arrest warrants out for him :grinyes:

(For those who don't understand, Raider fans have a certain "reputation".)

Your advice is wrong. I agree with you that carrying a passport with you is both a pain in the ass, and a potential problem, but it is the law, and the locals are starting to enforce it. I know a number of people who have been stopped lately by the police, sometimes for absolutely no reason, and been either fined or been able to reach an "out of court" settlement.

I went to the Immigration office in Suan Plu a month back, and asked to meet with a senior Immigration officer to get the question answered. I met with a rather articulate General, who said, rather apologetically, that all foreigners do indeed have to carry their passport with them at all times. A copy is not legally acceptable. A Thai drivers license, which has your passport # on it, is also not acceptable. If a policeman wants to accept a copy, he can, but if he wants to be a hardass, he is going to either cite you or offer an "out of court" settlement.

The Immigration officer, for what it is worth, agreed that it was indeed silly to ask people to carry their passports with them at all times. It is the law, though, and while the motives of the cop asking to see a passport might not always be in the spirit of that law, noone from on high is going to come down on him for it.

In the past, copies have always been acceptable. Times seem to be changing, though.

A few random thoughts:

Isn't it unlawful to surrender passports of certain nationalities as it is considered property of the respective country? I mean if the police ask to see it and don't give it back, aren't you then in the doghouse with your own govt?

I can only wonder what a passport will look like after carrying it around everyday for 5 years??? I mean are they even designed for that and can hold together?

Besides increased accidental loss, if it becomes general knowledge that all foreigners have their passports on their person, it could increase theft. How much is a passport worth on the black market? If it's say 10K baht, that could make walking around at night a little scary. For reference, years ago rental cars in the US were forced to not show any visible logo on the car as these logos had become beacons for theft as it was known those driving them usually had lots of cash.

It just seems common sense the best place for a passport is locked in your minivault inside your locked room. Much fewer headaches for everyone in reducing lost passports in an age that sort of thing is a national security risk. Not advocating it, just having a hard time coming to terms with this one.

If it's 1000's of baht, that could make walking around at night a little scary.

------------------------

why so? Can you say that tourist muggings are common in LOS?

I will not routinely carry my passport in LOS. In Pattaya, cops can come to my home in 10 minutes to see it if they wish so, and upcountry, I doubt I get into any kind of trouble that would enrage a cop to see my passport absolutely.

I lost it once, and that was an ordeal. FlyPapillon has a thread about this in LEGAL. It took me 2 weeks to be able to get on the plane as the US embassy screwed up with the first fax. Not that there is anything sorrowful in being stuck 2 more weeks in LOS!!!! ::

Oops, I edited that part as on second thought I did see I needed to clarify "thousands of baht" meaning more than what we normally carry. I have always felt very safe in LOS anywhere, anytime. But this could create a problem and after enough muggings and bad press, only then might they think this one through.

I was at Sirocco also last month & don't recall any ID checks there at all. We did have a reservation though, which is highly recommendable as it's a fairly small secluded italian/international restaurent with great food at a price.

The views are not bad either & it seems plenty of people who like to flount it hangs in the colorful bar section a while to en joy & get their photos shot!

Mixed tourists, local crowd & yes it's perfectly acceptable place for that romantic dinner you owed ;)

Damage some 4k for 2 huge starters & 2 mains followed by desserts, but only limited alcohol & NO wine!

Would recommend it absolutely located end of Silum rd near river & oriental.

I fully agree with you. Carrying a passport around with you is impractical for lots of reasons, and an accident waiting to happen. Oddly enough, the Immigration officer I met with agreed. He even brought up a couple of things I would have felt a bit too politically sensative to mention. He ended the conversation by asking me if the country I am from has any "stupid' laws that are a nuisance to observe. I was fucked. lol.

I usually do not carry my passport, but do keep a copy of it in the wallet. I know I am running a small risk, but would rather deal with the possibility of a small fine than a stolen passport.

Sirrocco restaurant is well worth a visit,the food is ok but pricey 5500bht with a bottle of wine,but the view more than makes it worth it....also has an excellent jazz band playing....you can alsc just go and hang around the bar if you wish...some nice hiso Thai tottie hanging around...dress to impress if you go....

Archived