Sad News

spirit_of_town_hall

Can you ......our anyone explain why the English suporters go crazy?

I can't explain, but agree that its bizarre. The hooligans must use the football as an excuse for whatever reason they do what they do.

Here in Oz, whether it be Aussie Rules, Rugby Union or League, we don't have crowd segregation. We sit with supporters of the other teams, scream our lungs out, abuse each other, then win, lose or draw, shake hands and go to the pub for a beer and chat about the game.

Same in the USA - huge crowds there without the violence.

It seemed to quieten down for a while in recent years compared to the horrible 80's of hooliganism, but seems to have reared its ugly head yet again.

I think often they use the excuse of supporting football to let out pent-up racial frustrations etc. Sad really.

I loved my time there when I lived in the UK, but found it to be one of the most racially intolerant places I've ever been to. (Not flaming or tarring everyone with the same brush... just my observation from my time there).

Fly P.

I only hope SiLeakHunt hasn't lived up to his name. :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

I have no clue at all why hooligans do what they do, English or others......

Its just that the English have the highest profile in the news.....

Also happens a lot of them just travel to the host country without even having tickets for any game, makes it even more weird.

I have been to sport games in the UK (rugby), the US (baseball) and down under as well, never seen this in my life as what happens here in Europe with football.

Crazy stuff :dunno:

BB

now watching from his coach

Oh HT, such a big question: why? Funnily enough, the best study of English football hooligans was actually conducted by an American -actually not so funny when you think about it; an isolated observer with zero preconceptions gave it more rigour than similar exercises conducted by the English.

One thing I do know about it; it is easy to fall into lazy stereotypes of these people. In truth there is no simple profile for these guys and no nice socio-economic box that they can be put in. Teachers, estate agents, solicitors, civil servants etcetera have been - and still are - involved in football violence.

Books that have been 'written' by (ex) football yobs or those involved on the periphery are painfully boring and full of cliched examples of what they deem to be 'manly' behaviour. Check out anything by the Brimsons with their tedious references to 'game lads'. I did - and I'm no shrink but did I detect a tiny bit of homo-eroticism in the whole lifestyle?

Fuck Euro 2004. As soon as England go out then I get some peace in the pub without all these arriviste Johnny-come-lately twats roaring at the tops of their voices - at a TV! If they were that into it then they'd be at the fucking match, it's not as if they don't get enough notice.

...and sticking a St Georges flag in a car window isn't patriotic. It's moronic.

HIGH THAIED said:

Hi torneyboy,

:D I guess we had the same thought, and posted at the same time.

HT

Ha ha ...Great minds think alike :bow:

I don't understand this stuff at all.

My team gets beaten...i go home and kick the cat ::

I think the booze gets them in a frenzy :dunno::doah:

Hi carew66,

So even living there, you really don't have a good take on it? Do you think sports might be taken too seriously there?

I really have no idea. Just asking. :dunno:

And maybe you don't either, even living there. It just seems such a shame. The whole reason behind sports is supposed to be born of nothing more than simple enjoyment, and entertainment. I just don't get it.

HT

Hi

On the other hand..the ""Barmy army"...English cricket fans...go all over the world for weeks on end...OZ,West Indies ,Sri Lanka etc etc.......NO trouble ..well none that jumps to mind anyway.

They sing ""that"" song all day and night to stir us..we get them back ...all good fun...all come dressed in national colors for a good day/night out of entertainment....many beers .but that is all.

Must be the big round ball?

torneyboy,

You know....that has to be a big factor in it. At least here in Hawaii, every spectator is shook down for booze, etc., before entering stadium. That does not mean they are not drunk when walking in, but at least at our stadium, you will have a very hard time smuggling anything in with you.

As sad as that is, maybe that is the answer. But I still feel there must be more behind it than that. The booze is only accentuating the feelings behind these riots, that so often occures there. It is not the cause, it only more easily brings forth the aggression.

Funny, but interesting, post before. Maybe the Thai explode with pent-up emotions, with savage results, the same as the Brit's, but for the Brit's, it takes a soccer game to bring out, as opposed to losing face?

:dunno:

HT

As Carew points out, it's a very complicated mix of factors like camaraderie, insularity, xenophobia, misplaced patriotism, booze, sexual frustration, the Saturday night punch-up mentality and probably a lot of other things I can't think of at the moment. :)

chuckwoww,

>>>>>As Carew points out, it's a very complicated mix of factors like camaraderie, insularity, xenophobia, misplaced patriotism, booze, sexual frustration, the Saturday night punch-up mentality and probably a lot of other things I can't think of at the moment.<<<<<

Actually, that is what I first suspected. I just wanted to hear it out loud. 555555555

HT :cover:

HT,

Like Carew pointed out, too many studies, no results.... why ?

Cos its in all layers of society.

An booze is sold IN the staduim, at least here on the continent.

An example : here in Germany, Holland and Belgium, prior to a game, the 2 sides sometime agree on a fighing ground to fight it all out, all done with mobile phones to elope the police.......

Ok, why ??? again, no clue.........

Maybe its 'our' violence channel ????

Like I said before, I like a good game, alone or with the GF at home, I would never dream of watching with friends or in a pub.

Easier to switch off if the game is sublevel :D

BB

Archived