your claim to fame?

pattaya127

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"3. Not so great, but continues the Giant Sagas: 1988 or so. Had drinks with Andre the Giant and his bodyguards at a hotel in Virginia Beach."

He needed bodyguards? The guy was a walking mountain!

Sanuk!

You think he was big, check out the Jewish Giant. His fingertips came up to my elbow when he shook my hand!.

8 foot 4 inches, I think.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really isn't a "claim to fame" thread

--------------------------------------------

yes, it is. There was no rules implied, people answered with humour and snippets of memories as they wished. Anything. I thank them for their wit and effort.

It's just a little thread on the board bar, when you and BB are ready to untie, for a beer and a chill-out, we're at the counter!

Ok, deal, only if you'll make some of your noodle soups :D :D :D

Happy to. Just to let you know I make a killer pho tai sach and pho dac biet, but I'm not much into the Thai style guay-tee-ohs. Just have lots of recipes. My wife makes a great yentafoe though.

Hey, do you think we have sufficiently hijacked this thread yet? :dunno:

LOL, leave it to me to steer it back on course (the IS a first time for everything ;))

Let's see, no buillshit, I have a few. Let's do it in (kinda, sorta) cronological order:

a) Went to high school with the drummer from the Red Hot Chili Peppers

B) Played on a collegiate American football national championship team (ya, I was third string, but I was there :p)

c) Raced offshore powerboats professionally, cumulating in being a UIM class champion both in US & internationally

d) Met Prince Mana of UAE and King Hussien of Jordan

e) Worked with Kenny Roberts doing R&D for his KR3 Grand Prix 500cc motorcycle engine

f) Have met several times and played golf with Dr. Mahathir Mohammad (Mayalsian PM) Anwar Ibrahim (deputy PM) and Raffidah Aziz (an MP)

g) Met Lee Kuan Yew (the "father" of modern Singapore)

h) Was a speaker at APEC in Kuala Lumpur

i) Had dinner with Al Gore (US Vice President) and Madeline Albright (US Secretary of State) -- not alone, but only about 50 of us

j) Met HRH Princess Chulabhorn and HRH Princess Maha Chakri

k) #2 daughter has been in six print ads in various magazines in LoS over the past 18 months (current one running is a TOT ad shot in National Stadium with two Thai movie stars in the foreground wearing soccer kit).

That enough? Outside of A-C, none of those would have happened if I were not a professional expat!

Cheers,

SD

Ist major one was agen 8 or 9. I had justr got out of a childrens hospital and Livrepool and my Mum drove me to Melwood the Liverpool training ground for some autographs. Fortunately a very nice Kenyy Dalglish invited me into the camp to watch them train. Highlight was Jan Molby making me and my mum a drink.

Another big one.

Does anyone remember a TV show called Fantasy Football with Badiel and Skinner (BBC2 Friday nights)

Well they had TV footage of me and made a Joke out of it using the tape. It was footage of a pitch invsion after a wrexham giant killing. I was famous in my local town for about a month.

Guest lazyphil

Met Ian Heaps. Go fishing a bit and drink with the mrs at the pub at Granchester Meadows as in ''Grantchester Meadows Pink Floyd - Ummagumma'' (far out man), was the postman for Tom Sharpe, rubbed shoulders outside the Anchor Pub with Professor Stephen Hawking, recently bouight groceries in a store in Judy Garlands hometown of Grand Rapids, Minnesota ::

1) worked with Dr. Robert Ballard on the discovery of schooners that sank in Lake Ontario. Got to play with JASON

2) Was in a Academy award winning movie ( extra)

3) Sang with Lady Di and Prince Charles

4) Had supper with "Bird"

5) Had supper with KS and Stickman and people kept on coming up saying that they are famous.

6) survived a 7.1 Earthquake and tital wave and had the embassy looking for me for a week.

7) Drank alot of beers once.

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"3. Not so great, but continues the Giant Sagas: 1988 or so. Had drinks with Andre the Giant and his bodyguards at a hotel in Virginia Beach."

He needed bodyguards? The guy was a walking mountain!

Sanuk!

I think these big guys, boxers, tough guys, Mike Tyson types, have bodyguards so that they don't have to throw a punch if attacked or provoked. Saves them from a lawsuit ( The big mean boxer man hit me, waaaah. Give me $$$).

Maybe only in Amerika.

Archived