Washington square bars info ?

Cyborg

Hi,

Been thinking abit in recent trips to always take a trip down to Washington square but never made it for some reason... I`ve read soo much about the different bars down there in the books from Jake Needham, Dean Barrett, CG Moore and now I really wanna check out these places I`ve read so much about.

So anybody have any recomendations down there ? Favorite bar ? Bars with st rooms ?

I`m atleast going to Bourbon Street and the texas lone star saloon...

Also for some reason I`ve never been to Lolitas, it`s opened in soi 8 now which is abit more easy to acess then from where they used to be ( soi 22 I belive ). But looking forward to trying it out next week, it sounds like a great place

:D

Cy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to recall Lolita's was in the car park behind Asoke beer garden. SO between Soi 23 and Soi Asoke. Washington Square is off of Soi 22 other side of Sukhumvit and a short walk. I would say for sure, see SIlver Dollar and Taxas Lone Staar (correct spelling) as these are perhapes short to Live. George the 400lb owner of Lone Staar is about 84 now? and is a legend worth seeing, but keep your distance, he can be ornery! :) Avoid discussing politics at all costs in these places, until you know the place and the people, I have seen fights start over this topic! But in general, the food is decent and the beer cold. There are some decent looking women in these places, but you have to look, or as I do, lower your standards! Most of the girls are really nice!

FWI, I believe Bourbon street is relatively new to WS, that is, I don't think it sprang from the same era as Lone Staar and Silver Dollar (think the original owner is dead?) Even Lone Star was originally located on Patpong I believe...but worth seeing for sure!

Ahh, the land that time forgot. If you want to see if The Big Mango was really better 15 years ago, come to the Square, cuz it's still 1990 there, although sometimes it's 1973, but never 2004. It is an acquired taste that most holiday makers do not acquire, but most long term expats do. Tread carefully as Squaronians are highy suspicious of strangers, but are your best friends when you get to know them which takes about 3-4 years. Put it this way, I have lived in Asia for 17 years and I am the least experienced and youngest regular in these bars!

Here is a synopsys of the Square there as I see it.

The bars

"Taxas Lone Staar (correct spelling)" Actually Texas Lone Staar is the correct spelling, but who cares. It is the place where old bar girls go to die; although the occasional one does start her career there, but they are all sweethearts. George is an old softie (but don't tell him I said that LOL) and will hire any gal with a sob story. Unfortunately, Big George is in the States for the hot season, but will be back around October. Yup, he's 400 lbs and 82 years young and I have a feeling that he will out live us all. One of the few remaining lengendary colorful Bangkokian expats -- been here 35+ years and has lots of stories -- most of 'em are even true: one of the first Patpong bar owners, Air America, spooks, war in Laos/Cambodia, silly practical jokes, Thai politics, etc.

Silver Dollar is a dump and the ugly girls there are unfriendly and the stale beer is warm [color:"666666"] (just kidding, it's my favourite and I like to keep that one to myself :devil: )[/color] Ya OH, Bobby's been dead for a few years now but his wife Ott is still running the place (and Moonshine Joint down in Jomtien) with her new American husband. Prolly the first American bar on the Square, circa early 80's.

Cat's Meow is quiet but the gals there can teach you to play all the old fashioned Thai bar games (those two dice games and the Chinese counting one come immediately to mind).

Wild Country is not for the faint of heart. It is a full-on, in-your-face assault on your liver and usually other parts of your body too. But your wallet will prolly remain out of the hospital (don't know about the rest of you). Many legendary gals here: Big Bird, Khun Hee Hee, Just Maggie to name a few. You either love it or hate it.

Then there is New Square One with Taffy the Taffy as the owner. He is a newbie to the Square, but fits in nicely as he is a charming, loudmouth, alcoholic wth a colorful history (former convicted bank robber, etc.) who despite the gruff exterior is a really nice guy, but again, don't tell him I said that LOL. He is one of the few barowners that the gals who worked for him in the past still speak highly of him (a former Square One gal now works in the CatHouse and was asking if Taffy was OK, singing his praises). He has recently put chrome poles in the place thinking that he may want to have gogo girls there. But I doubt it will ever happen.

Denny's Corner is not really in the Square, but on the corner of the entrance on Soi 22. It's a little outdoor bar with a palm thatch motif. High drinks pressure keeps me outta here, but some guys like it.

Studio 22 is a decent pool bar with a mostly Thai crowd with a few expat brats thrown in. You may be able to find a young farang chick to play with there who is tired of Thai boys and/or other expat brats! But don't count on it.

There are a couple of other little bars behind the Garden Massage place. Crystal Bar and sumptin' else I forget the name right next door. They are only open spottily and kinda boring. But you may find a diamond working there, so give it a whirl. Not really true WS bars as they are shiney and new (about 5 years old).

Prince of Wales (aka the POW) used to be a lot of fun, but the bitchy owner Pia has run just about everybody off, including her American husband. She is a piece of work best avoided. Biz there is so bad that she cut her bar in half and leased the other side to:

Places to eat

The Hare & Hound. Old hands will remember a place of the same name on Cowboy where Sam's 2000 is now. Same guys run this one. Decent and cheap English food and a big screen TV to watch footie and ruggers.

Bourbon St. Great food, try the Riverboat Chicken or the Country Club Breakfast sammich or even the American Fried Rice -- nothing is bad there. A meeting place of who's who in the expat community. Heck, wifey and I have even sat next to HRH Princess Maha Chakri who's entourage devoured about 10 kilos of crawfish! Got pix of us together somewhere around here. This is a family place (many rug rats scurring about annoyingly on weekends at mealtime :o) and none of the staff is in the P4P game (at least while at work), tho' you *may* find a freelancer on rare occasion at the bar after 10pm. The hotel upstairs is great for the money (B990/night w/brekky) and is deffo guest friendly. The owner Doug is a nice guy IMHO and a great host, but there seems to be a like him or hate him aura amongst Squaronians. Trivia of the day: What was Bourbon St called before it was Bourbon St?

Hanamizu is a tiny Japanese restraunt a couple of doors down from Bourbon St. Decent food for cheap. Cool bathroom. The best yum pla mook in Bangkok IMHO since they use sushi squid to make it.

Delaney's is a Irish Pub at the Sukhumvit entrance to the Square. Pricey and an odd fusion-type menu that has never appealed to me. Awesome Irish coffees tho'. The place to pick up a local expat farang chick if you so desire.

You can get food at Lone Staar (the daily specials are great at B60!) and Silver Dollar. I think Taffy still has some food at Square One (he made really great fish-n-chips with huge pieces of cod) but then again, that could have just been a phase he was going through and he doesn't anymore LOL. There is also an Okinawian Japanese place next door to the Lone Staar that I hear is pretty good, but I have not eaten there yet. Also hear that you need to speak or read Japanese as the menu was written on the wall in Japanese. :dunno:

Massage

For normal massage (but you can get extras too), try the Garden Spa. B250 for 2-3 hours. Quite popular with Thai biz men, so I am sure that there is P4P there.

Sanzanka is the Korean massage joint with the salty scrub (I think about B1300). You gotta do this at least once. Awesome and extras are offered.

Other

Don't forget to check out the katoeys after the Mambo show lets out. They stand outside and charge the Asian tourists to take photos with them. Some unbelieveable stunners there, but they are all a-packin'!!

There is a boy bar or massage parlor or sumpthin' over in the corner. Nobody is really sure what it is, but it seems to be a gay P4P place. It's name is Mykonos, so you know to avoid it. Or go there :dunno:...up to you.

My fav hair cutting place with the odd Spanish name, Cielo, has a back entrance on the Square (the shop fronts Sukhumvit). Great gals with great personalities who do a very fine job. More expensive that some places (I pay B550 for haircut, manicure & pedicure plus B150 tip), not as expensive as others. NO P4P opportunities here, so do not ask. I have went out dining and partying wth them tho', so dating opportunities are available if you are looking for a GTG.

Cheers,

SD

An excellent report Suadum !

You are spot on about Wild Country; its not for the lightweights!

At first is seems totally innocuous and its possible just to sit on your own a sup a beer. But much better if there is a group of like minded guys.

Last time I went my friend refused to order until the girl got her knickers off. So she got buck naked and walked around the bar like that all night. Its also not unusual to have one of the girls follow you to the toilet and offer assistance. Its a bizare experience but only works if you are really up for it. The girls can knock back the shots very quickly but at only Bt60 a pop it won't do much damage. Don't expect any stunners, in fact most of them you would not want to see in daylight or sober but in terms of attitude you will be hard to find a better place. Makes a real change to the tarts in gogo bars.

MSB

"An excellent report Suadum "

Wild country...wasn't that the place that had a girl working there who went by the knick name "2 ton Pun" or something like that ? maybe "Ton fun Pun" forget, christ she was hughe! Very nice girl, good back massage...biggest BG I ever saw...kind of like a refigerator with a head...wonder what ever happened to her?

Hmmmm, don't remember but sounds familiar. Sure sounds like a gal you may find at the Lone Staar, tho' given George's hiring practices.

No real fatties on the Square now. But if you like that kind of thing I am sure that that waitress at Midnite is available :neener:

Cheers,

SD

MadStockBroker said:

An excellent report Suadum !

You are spot on about Wild Country; its not for the lightweights!

At first is seems totally innocuous and its possible just to sit on your own a sup a beer. But much better if there is a group of like minded guys.

Last time I went my friend refused to order until the girl got her knickers off. So she got buck naked and walked around the bar like that all night. Its also not unusual to have one of the girls follow you to the toilet and offer assistance. Its a bizare experience but only works if you are really up for it. The girls can knock back the shots very quickly but at only Bt60 a pop it won't do much damage. Don't expect any stunners, in fact most of them you would not want to see in daylight or sober but in terms of attitude you will be hard to find a better place. Makes a real change to the tarts in gogo bars.

MSB

You aren't kidding about those girls at Wild Country being able to drink heavily. I went in there one night and could barely stumble out of the bar. My boss who was with me took one of them back home (he also could barely stagger out) and said the lassie wound up drinking an entire bottle of rum after getting back to his apartment.

Some times the effects of all that alcohol can be seen. I went in there late one night (just before 2:00 am) and all the girls were passed out at the tables. It looked like someone had gassed the place.

Old Hippie said:

Wild country...wasn't that the place that had a girl working there who went by the knick name "2 ton Pun" or something like that ? maybe "Ton fun Pun" forget, christ she was hughe! Very nice girl, good back massage...biggest BG I ever saw...kind of like a refigerator with a head...wonder what ever happened to her?

They have one large but fun girl but might not be her.

I remember arranging to meet a friend in the bar but upon entering I could not see him. So I started to ask her for a drink when I noticed something wrong with her long dress. She looked like she had something in front of her and when I lifted her skirt to look ..... my friends tongue was working overtime between her meaty thighs !

The girls drink that horible Thai whisky in shot glasses. No wonder they pass out!

MSB

Wow, thanks for the superb report suadum !

Thanks for all the info guys, very much apprciated. Some of those bars sounds just perfect for me and my bro. Will give a report when Im back home.

5 days now...

Thanks

Cy

Archived