Man leaps from apt 1 hr after dying

Khun_Kong

Another example of crack police work:

American resident dies - suicide suspected

Police treating case as suspicious

Boonlua Chatree

Local photographer Howard Greene, 56, from the USA, died last week, the result of an apparent suicide.

Police were called to the Niran Condominium complex at 2 p.m. on Monday after receiving a report of a foreign resident falling from his 12th floor rented apartment.

Police arrived at the scene to find Greene?s body on the concrete. No blood was found at the impact site, which led police to suspect something was amiss.

An inspection of Greene?s room led to further suspicion, as it was immaculately clean, there was no evidence of a struggle and Greene?s personal belongings, including passport and wallet were missing.

However, a signed suicide note was found on the coffee table.

Police and a doctor from Banglamung inspected the body and suspect that Greene may have died at least one hour prior to his body landing on the concrete.

Greene?s body was sent to the police forensic institute for further examination, which is standard procedure for deaths of foreigners, while officers investigate the case.

Howard Greene was known among the community as a pro photographer and worked on a number of charity and high profile projects during his years in Pattaya.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pattaya police's keen investigative insight continues to be evident in this article appearing in The Nation's ex-pat section yesterday (quoted from Pattaya Mail I think).

Elaborate Suicide

Police are are investigating the death of 43-year-old American Chris John Beyer, who was found dead at the Expat Hotel; his hands bound and a black garbage bag over his head, the Phuket Gazette reports.

Beyer's body was found lying face-up dressed only in a pair of purple shorts.

One arm had been handcuffed to the bed and the other was tied with a power cable to a table.

There was a black plastic bag over his head and three lengths of rubber tubing tightened around his neck to prevent air from entering the bag.

According to the hotel, nobody had visited Beyer during his stay.

Colonel Chalit Thinthanee, superintendent of Kathu Police, agreed that it was likely a suicide, given the absence of any signs of foul play.

"We had officers recreate the way the suicide [appears to have been] carried it out, and it is plausible.

This method would have given him no way out if he changed his mind."

Here is what I would do if I retired in LOS, half joking half serious. Ok, mostly serious...

Get rid of any female who tries to spend too much time with me or wants to move in. Better yet, use short time hotels with them...

Do not let a Thai man in the house/apartment under any circumstances (save fix it man or the police, but in reality you don't want the police in there either now do you?).

Limit the amount of money in any Thai bank account (fuck the deposit just do the visa runs).

Plan an escape route to a neighboring country. Make sure this plan is executable on a moments notice (hey you never know which chick might decide to stop breathing right next to you).

Find a high ranking police officer who lives in my neighborhood and at some point in a social situation, ply him with liquor, gifts and/or money. Try to get his card with his signature on it. He MAY prove to be an asset down the road (you never know what may happen in your retirement)...

Be nice and polite in the street, the neighbors however are not welcome...

Find one or two expats in the community that share the same background I do and create a support system. At the end of the day, they may be all I have left...

LIVE MODESTLY. Splurge on vacations if I have it like that or go to Bangkok where I won't be noticed.

My philosophy in Thailand would be "don't get with anything you can't leave in 30 seconds..."

Again just joking, almost...

Oneye

Interesting post, I am in the process of moving out of the UK to live in PTY and must admit that the quantity of suspicious deaths of westerners is of some concern to me. In Pattaya there are many seriously unstable characters living on the edge and some of the deaths will be genuine suicides. Regarding the others I think money is a major factor and as such it would be extreemly unwise to let yourself run out of cash or get into debt. Personally I would never let a Thai girl know my financial situation, there are more goldiggers here than the Klondyke in the gold rush, letting it be known you have assets worth millions on baht would surely put you at greater risk.

Any other suggestions to stay safe?

Good post and yes, I know you are only half joking !

The chap in question was a professional photographer wo did some work for the FLB in Pattaya and was well known in that bar. I met him last year and spent some time in his company.

Ben from the FLB posted on their board that he had been suffering from depression and whilst that may point towards suicide, the jumping from the balcony a few hours after dying is a little suspicious. The comments elsewhere brought up the lack of blood at the scene. I think his passport and other personal items were missing.

Whatever the outcome, I want a pool directly under my balcony.

It's funny but the precautions you outline (albeit with tongue firmly in cheek) are not too far from what a good friend actually did.

He moved to Thailand in the mid-80s (year not age :p) and brought with him a pile of cash that he deposited with Bangkok Bank. After traveling around the country he eventually settled in Phuket and found a bungalow compound run by a retired muay thai fighter and his family in Rawai. He immediately made very good friends with the family and they in turn looked out for him. He lived a very simple life. Little to no partying, no permanent TGF. Would find a girl to shag when the need arose but never let them get too close. Most importantly he never flashed any money and never let on to anyone that he had a pile of cash in the bank.

Eventually he left Thailand just before the economic collapse and moved his money to Singapore. But in the roughly ten years he lived in Thailand he never ran into any real problems. On the other hand he lived pretty much like a monk. Rarely spent money on newspapers, only sought out a TV when his team was in the rugby championships or during the world cup. Food almost exclusively from curry vendors and other street vendors. Everything aimed at conserving money and staying under the radar.

Risk vs. reward.

Archived