Upgrading

khunsanuk

Hi,

I don't trust Sandra that much. First it mixes up the sensors like LaoHuLi has a board temp of 45 and CPU only 37 ? It's the other way round. Same I saw happening with fans, and we don't want to talk about the missmatch it does with the voltages. Ther sensor readout is maybe right but the presentation is shit.

KS about the bios version and update. Gigabyte ships quite a few utilities with the board, @BIOS. No need to go via dos floppies. refer to your manual, page 61. This checks out your current bios and newest available.

About CPUIdle, have you checked with wich CPUs they put up these nice diagrams? Really old buggers. AMD K6-266 and a Dual Celeron 466 system. And they mention a AMD 2000 - no such CPU. The ones withput '+' went up to Athlon 1400 and then they had the Athlon XP 1500+ (and a 2000+ as well). The chipset they mention is outdated as well (but would suit a XP 2000+). Why don't they put up diagrams with recent CPUs?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"KS about the bios version and update. Gigabyte ships quite a few utilities with the board, @BIOS. No need to go via dos floppies. refer to your manual, page 61. This checks out your current bios and newest available. "

Yep, LaoHuLi just talked me through my first ever BIOS upgrade :)

Have latest version now.

"About CPUIdle, have you checked with wich CPUs they put up these nice diagrams?"

Nope, just installed it, but as it didn't seem to make any difference, I have uninstalled it again.

Sanuk!

I agree that Sandra does NOT impress me. :(

I use Fresh Diagnose for sys info and my new MB has a monitoring program PCAlert4

Sorry no screen capture posting here, but it reads sys temp 29 C and CPU temp 27 C :neener:

REALLY............. mind you it is open on the test bench.......... I'll do some pics tomorrow.

OK here's a couple of pics of the current project...the Sanuker Computer. Currently on the test bench for burn in .

First the screen showing operating temps and voltage.. :neener:.....

Temp/Voltage screen

and yes that does read 24 C CPU temp.

and then the test bench shot

Sanuker Burn In

Now to fit it all in a briefcase....... :banghead:

But like I told the bg, sure it will fit, you just gotta turn a little this way and push......:rolleyes:

KS,

I agree with LHL in that you really should check that your heatsink is properly attached to the CPU. Other than that I would suggest you look into the possibility of returning the board for refund or exchange - since you are clearly having a problem with it.

I downloaded the Sandra program and have been trying it out. Agree with others that it shows some errors in the reports, but overall it looks pretty impressive and may prove to be a very useful utility. My thanks to the gentleman who suggested it?

Decided to try over-clocking my 3.2 GHz P4-E to 3.6 gigs just to see if it would hold together, and if so, then observe the resulting rise in CPU temp?

Well, it hasn?t caught fire yet, although I?d be afraid to leave the house with it running in fear that it might burn the damn place down. :) Anyway, this Asus cooker is now running in excess of 3.6 GHz with the FSB pushed to 1028 MHz and the poor Kingston PC3200 memory screaming ouch at 514 MHz! Results: no problems, no memory errors or instabilities of any kind noted yet, and the CPU temperature has only increased a few degrees to about 47 C - and that?s only when it?s working hard on the Sandra burn in tests.

So, what does this prove?? Not much. I realize that with no AC it?s hot as hell in BKK this time of year (will be there next week), but taking this into consideration I still think your CPU is running too damn hot?

ST

Hi,

"I agree with LHL in that you really should check that your heatsink is properly attached to the CPU."

It seems to be, I mean can't really move it around much.

"Other than that I would suggest you look into the possibility of returning the board for refund or exchange - since you are clearly having a problem with it."

Is it the board then? And not the CPU?

Sanuk!

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"I agree with LHL in that you really should check that your heatsink is properly attached to the CPU."

It seems to be, I mean can't really move it around much.

"Other than that I would suggest you look into the possibility of returning the board for refund or exchange - since you are clearly having a problem with it."

Is it the board then? And not the CPU?

Sanuk!

Not being able to move the heatsink/fan only means it is locked down. There is a levered catch to do this.

It may however be seated crooked, or not aligned properly and you would have to look carefully to see this once it's locked down.

Most likely IMO the techie botched it. You mentioned that he put some gooey paste on it? BIG AMATEUR NONO>

Retail AMD heatsink/fans come with a thermal grease bond already applied.... applying more actually makes an insulating surface and greatly decreases the thermal transducance. This is your most likely scenario.

I may also be possible to receive a unit that has not been perfectly ground to make perfect contact. The high end guys actually lap the surfaces like polishing the cams in a race car to insure better than a perfect touchdown.

Even when there is no preapplied thermal grease the amount used is tiny and then scape with a special straightedge to insure minimal even coverage. Saying there was white goo showing means it was done wrong. Simple 10 minute fix to reseat it.

A good job gets temps like the above poster or great ones like mine..... even in a hot environment. Poor jobs get yours. Take the board/chip/heatsink back and make them do it right and fire it on their test bench an get running temps. ANY responsible tech will pretest a MB CPU install *before* he lets it out of his shop. Only then can he know that subsequent problems were not caused by his install. (Technically if he did apply extra grease he has voided the AMD warranty [3 years])

Sorry about the rant but there is no excuse for sloppy workmanship for these simply procedures and I see them daily.... just pisses me off. And that isn't even in Thailand.

Of course you can, it is a simple job; even old fumble fingers here can do it.

Here is the primer:

You'll need Alcohol to remove the old goo and thermal paste to reapply. (I use Arctic Silver)

Once you get ALL traces of the old shit off, apply a small dab of thermal paste to the heatsink and spread it evenly and *thinly* with a straightedge.

Reseat the heatsik/fan carefully in postion and lock it down.

You're done::

AMD guide is here with pics and very detailed instructions.

Heatsink Install

As always I am available for 'live' help if required..... heck you can turn on your webcam and I can watch :neener:

Archived