Digital Camera recommendation

stumpy

I bought a Casio QV-R41 three month ago. Still happy with it. Metal casing, brings two type AA recharchable batteries. Bought a 256MB SD-card with it and a bag. Dropped it once, small dent but still works fine (that's why I bought one with metal case, they are bound to drop once in a while).

I hate lugging around cameras and looking like a dork with a case hanging off my shoulder or neck. Considering that my pics are purely recreational, not professional, will usually be viewed on my PC, i opt for convenience moreso than top of the line quality equipment.

I bought a Canon didgital ELPH camera a few years ago has decent megapixel quality but more importantly the unit is self contained in metal casing , with a built in zoom lens and it fits in my pocket. I have traveled all over SEA, South America and Europe with the unit in my pocket getting spectacular pics to view on my PC.

I reckon the Canon G5 would be the camera for you.

Please note though that for indoor photography with flash, the lack of dynamic range can become a problem with the cheaper digital cameras. In laymans talk, people might tend to look a bit too white, and backgrounds a bit too dark.

Stick

My criteria is exactly the same. I chose the Panasonic D-Snap SV-AS10. Works great, is incredibly small, has 2M pixels, uses SD cards up to 512Mb, is an MP3 player, voice recorder & AVI movie recorder too, and the batteries last a really long time. What's not to like?

Not sure if available everywhere, but I paid B12K with a worldwide warranty here in BKK a few months ago when it was introduced. Prolly cheaper now.

Oh, it takes great pix in low light situations (like go-go bars :o!). Here is a sample (color & light balance unedited). And no, I am not telling you where she works LOL!

Cheers,

SD

A few days ago the Bangkok Post claimed Fugitsui Thailand was coming out with a 6.2 Megapixel camera with I believe 3X or 5X optical zoom. As for digital cameras - I would at the size of the megapixels - the larger the better and the optical portion of the zoom.

Re: "more pixels the better" True if a) you like to chase technology and spend money or B) you are buying the camera with the express intention of making lots of 8x10 or 11x14 prints. Otherwise, for web usage and for 4x6 snapshots, I find 2M pixels to be more than adequate. YMMV.

Yes optical zoom is better. But since I use mine just for fun snapshots, size and battery life are most important to me.

Cheers,

SD

Panasonic D-Snap SV-AS10.

-----------------------------

Cool!

I know this one is really small, so have you tried shooting in movie mode in gogos? You know, subreptitiously, just because you ain't supposed to and they'd be definitely fun to watch and re-watch with kindred friends in farangland? Do you think the lighting is OK to shoot a movie with that camera in such places?

Thanks

Archived