Relative cost of Sanuk in different countries

MrX

Do any of you read the Economist?

Ok, they have that relative cost of a Big Mac in different countries to try and nail the real cost of living in different places

Can we do the same for sanuk? ( really this is not very similar to the Economist?.but if you like it you can refine the operation)

Ok if a boom-boom in Thailand (Bangkok) costs

I customer drink 100 b

1 lady drink 100 b

1 short-time hotel 300b

1 boom-boom 1500

Total is 2000 baht or approx 50 USD

GDP (per head, dollar adjusted) is approx 2000 USD

So 2000 divided by 50 is 40?. right...?

How does this "40" compare to other countries?

(The more relatively expensive the sanuk the lower the country?s index number I reckon...but I am mathematically challenged!)

LOL, a similar thing just came up in the Careers forum, so I'll repeat. When assessing salaries in other countries, I use a modified version of The Economist's "Big Mac" Scale. I choose a local brand beer served in a middle-of-the-road bar as my benchmark. I believe that it represents the buying power of your money in a local sense. (The Big Mac index is flawed IMHO because there are franchise fees, forced suppliers, and other artifical economic factors when dealing with Mackers Corporate). An example:

Here in Bangkok, a small Singha in a middle joint runs B75 average. So if one makes B40K/mo = 534 beers.

In Detroit, my mates tell me that a Budweiser costs $4 in a middle class bar. I am assuming that the average guy makes ~$3000/mo. That is 750 beers. Therefore the better financial choice is the States.

But when that guy starts making over B56K/mo (or $1400), then the better financial choice is Bangkok.

Anyway, I would assume that your way is as good as any. When figuring be sure to use GDP in local currency, not the purchasing power parity indexes found when doing a web search on GDP (GDP-PPP: Thailand comes up as $7400 there).

Cheers,

SD

I heard Africa is very cheap, and even the stunners are desperate. One guy told me you haven't lived until you've fucked an African women on a floor mat in a hut out in the middle of the jungle in 90 plus degree heat.:hug:I was told one can get overnight companionship for $10.

Belem said:

I heard Africa is very cheap, and even the stunners are desperate. One guy told me you haven't lived until you've fucked an African women on a floor mat in a hut out in the middle of the jungle in 90 plus degree heat.:hug:I was told one can get overnight companionship for $10.

Humm Belem,can you be more specific? Africa is huge. USD 10 wouldn't go very far in S.A., so I guess thats out of the question.

Some countries don't have a lot of stunners either, destination need to be thoroughly planned..

;)

Cheers!

Belem said:

Yes, very true indeed.

Lots of sanuk to be had in Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Benin and Madagascar at those prices.

I know 2 guys who alternate a visit to Pattaya with one to Madagascar every 4 months......

In the 80s, best sanuk was had in Khartoum, picking up a stunner before dinner, taking her to dinner and paying for it, after that give her $ 20 for the disco, entrance and drinks, LT and she would fix you brekkie before sending you on your way back to your hotel.

Very cheapest sanuk was in Angola in 1983, in a construction camp in Pointe Noire, paid $ 5 for 1 girl for one WHOLE week, I went to work in daytime, she would clean the room, do the laundry and keep me warm at night (yes, freezing airco)......

BB

Archived