One way to get rid of double pricing

zigfreed

I'm sure a lot of westerners have been disturbed, pissed off, and mad as hell for having to pay multiples of what Thais pay for entering national parks, museums, etc. ::

Why don't the western consulates quadruple (or more) their visa fees. Perhaps once the rather well-to-do Thais feel the pain of discriminatory practices, they'll do somehting about it. ::

Well,

I don't know too much about visas for Thais in all the farang countries. But don't we get free tourist visas on arrival in LOS while the Thais have to apply for a visa to farangland beforehand, and pay fees for it? Wasn't there a Thai politican who lately complained exactly about that?

Not that I am happy with the double pricing. But i doubt there is anything that will make them change their mind about it.

This is what has happened in Taiwan. US citizens used to be able to apply for a Taiwan visa for free. Then the price went up to 50 US, doubling to 100 and now about 120. I asked why the price increase and was told that it is because the US has raised visa fees on Taiwanese. Tit-4-tat pricing I guess. Funny thing is that Canadians get the a 2 year or 5 year multiple and Americans are given at best two month extendable visas. I do believe Americans can get a better one if applying from the US but not anywhere close to what Canadians get. I often wonder why Canadians get the sweet deal? Perhaps they have friendlier visa policies for Taiwanese. It is sad that America is Taiwan's only defense shield and our representatives don't do anything to get us a better visa deal.

The only way I found to avoid double pricing is to learn Thai or make good friends. This won't help in parks. When I am a tourist I don't like it but life ain't fair. The way I see it is that there aren't any Thais get the "drink specials" I get from my local bartender. In a year this far exceeds the money I lose from 2x pricing. Or you could take the route this Israel guy I met in Laos did. When asked to pay the park enterance fee, he just ran through shouting "nature is free!"

All comes out in the wash.

In the US, I pay nothing to visit Federal Parks.

If you do not like paying extra in Thailand, probably the best way to show your dissatisfaction is go some where else.

Until of course it is they who get double priced.

-----------------------

samesame, if they no like, they no pay. So easy!

Thais who travel abroad, meaning they can afford it, identify there as middle class more than thais. They will tend to react same as us to unfairness. But i doubt that they think dble pricing in their own country is their fault or of their own making. It's like blaming the price of a tourist visa (or its refusal) to the USA on me, for being american.

i do not think the practice of dble pricing takes away from the joy or happiness of discovering Thailand or going back there again. Often, I no like, I no pay.... Takes 5 irksome seconds, then happy again.

I do understand that some here find it an expression of what thailand is actually all about. I just disagree!

re Carlton 68

"I don't know too much about visas for Thais in all the farang countries. But don't we get free tourist visas on arrival in LOS while the Thais have to apply for a visa to farangland beforehand, and pay fees for it? Wasn't there a Thai politican who lately complained exactly about that?"

Yes this is what happens in Middle Earth, we get visa on arrival (free) in Thailand, Thais have to jump through the embassy hoops to get one before departure for NZ.

AFAIK

Cheers

Coss

Archived