Multiple Internet Windows snafu - PLEASE HELP ME

UAL875

I think this is an easy fix but have no idea how to do it. In the past if I wanted to have more than one web site open at the same time, all I needed to do was click on the ?Internet Explorer? icon and it would open up a new window for me. However, yesterday I downloaded Yahoo Messenger onto my computer and ever since doing that I cannot have multiple Internet windows open. For instance, let?s say I am viewing Nanaplaza.com and I want to look up something on Amazon.com without closing down Nanaplaza.com. If I double-click the Internet Explorer icon, my designated homepage opens up in the Nanaplaza.com window and Nanaplaza.com disappears. I know this is a minor tragedy but it really is ticking me off because I like to have multiple windows open. Currently I have ADSL and am operating off of Windows 2000. Can someone help me? Thank you in advance! :beer:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Immediate fix of symptoms: DL Mozilla and use the multiple tabs feature. This is exactly what you need. Lets you open many tabs within a single Mozilla window, rather than having to open multiple windows, as IE requires.

Seems the piece of my brain that remembers how to do this in IE is temporarily unavailable.

OCgringo said:

Press Control +N , I normally have 8-10 windows open all the time,

Nanaplaza, ebay . BBC. yahoo etc

and just click between them and reload for the newest info :)

On the reload, Mozilla has a nice feature- a setting that allows an automatic reload, adjustable from every 5 seconds to whatever time interval you choose.

It's a plug-in available from the website.

Unfortunately "Control N" does not work - it simply reverts the window back to the prior webpage I had open rather than opening up a new window. I guess I can go the mozilla route but being both curious and stubborn, I want to get to the bottom of what the fuck happened to my pc when I downloaded the Yahoo software. Any other suggestions? Once again, thanks.

There is a registry setting which controls this, and your addiction to chatting with Thai girls via Yahoo has wrecked it ::

I changed this setting at work some days ago, can't recall what it is. Will see if I can find it on Monday when I am there and post it! Its under the hkey_current_user subkey in the registry, and internet explorer somewhere.

Cheers!

Ignore the advice from the furry-chinned, pipe-smoking and cardigan wearing Apple Mac chappies about switching to Firefox and other wonderful browsers that are only known to these 3% of the population :: :: :: - just go to Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Browsing and unclick "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" and every url will then open up in a new window!

Hi,

"switching to Firefox and other wonderful browsers that are only known to these 3% of the population"

Actually, you might want to check this site

Mozilla is seriously gaining in popularity, at the expense of IE.

Sep '03, IE had 86.6% share versus 6.2% for Mozilla.

Sep '04, and IE has dropped to a 74.8% share, while Mozilla has climed to 17.7%

So, IE lost 11.8%, while Mozilla gained 11.5% :up:

Sanuk!

Archived