THe hammer has fallen on nightlife

BKK_DJ

Hi,

Maybe not so relevant here but just want to post my experiences:

+ 7-11 and Minimart near Nana Hotel won't sell alcohol between midnight and 6AM

+ Yesterday (sep-29) I failed two times to buy a beer at 7-11 around 1AM, once at Sukhumvit Soi 33 and after near Ayuattya rd. Finally I could buy everything that I wanted at a 7-11 near my apt (near Victory Monument)

+ Chasing of girls on parking lot Nana Hotel by Thai police around 2h30 AM

+ Undercover Thai police present at the 'night-zoo' on Sukhumvit (soi 5-17)

** The only place I know that's open 24hrs is a coffeeshop (no-smoking, but with outdoor terrace) not too far from Sukhumvit, loads of freelancers there too, but it caters mainly to Thais.

Will the good old days ever come back, when you could hang out at Thermae till 6AM !!??

Regards

Tilac

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just my opinion ....but has been repeated so many times... if you look back say 6 years!! when bars closed @ 3am and termaie etc 5am.... Suckhumvit was empty!!take a look now !! need i say more...

if i was in charge!! it would be 3am closing everyware...not the daft things that are happening right now,

I highly doubt that the "good old days" will come back any time soon. I think the aim of the current government is not eradicating prostitution/sextourism completely, but to control and confine it and limit it to the mentioned zones, if the whole thing would be aimed against prostitution im genereal what would be the point in giving preferred status patpong/ratchada.

Police handed out notices re operating hours last night in Soi Cowboy. It was in Thai (and we were all a little boozed up) but I am told the upshot for Cowboy is that bars which had licences prior to Jan of this year will be allowed to open from 6 pm to 1 am. Bars without licences or bars aquiring new licences will be permitted to operate from 6 pm to midnight.

Tilac (and you'd best be damend cute if I'm going to call you that): As has been the case with every era of history, these ARE the Good Old days. Wait 10 or 20 years, you'll see what I mean. Happens every genration.

I am not terribly concerned about closing times at midnight or 1AM since I tend to retire a bit earlier than most. Don't get me wrong, I think the early closing times are infantile, but it just so happens that I am not often out much past midnight anyway.

What would cause me to change vacation plans would be if I were to discover I couldn't go for an afternoon beer or game of pool. I like to hit the beer bars in the afternoon and am concerned that the government is trying to prevent these places from opening until the evening.

As of now, can one still go to beer bars during the afternoon? In places such as Washington Square? I am assuming places like Gullivers and the Soi 7 Biergarden are still open in the afternoons?

I am trying to make a decision on whether to skip BKK and go straight to Pattaya where enforcement of these restrictions on fun seem to have not come into effect as much as they have in Bangkok.

Thanks for any info!

WH

Thanx for the update.

Not pleased to hear about NEP closing at midnight next month as I am scheduled to be in BKK at the beginning of November.

I tend to do much of my drinking in the afternoon and am most concerned about these ridiculous 6PM or 9PM opening times which may be enforced.

I tend to drink at the beer bars, Gullivers, Bus Stop, Soi 7 Beirgarden, Washington Square, etc, during the daytime. Are these places still open as usual. This is important for me as if I find out I am no longer allowed to go to a bar during the afternoon in BKK I will alter my plans and go straight to Pattaya.

Any updates on the daytime bar scene in BKK would be appreciated.

WH

Archived